What is the best approach to getting my 2 1/2 yr old into his own bed?

I am slowly trying to get him into his own bed by laying down with him when I put him down but I am so exhausted at the end of the day that I fall asleep too. I want him to sleep by himself but it is hard to wait for him to fall asleep with out passing out myself :)

maglook

Asked by maglook at 12:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try not laying with him but just being in the room with him. Or lay with him for a few minutes then just sit in the room. Move closer to the door each night. Also, try each night to go through your routine and leave. Give him a bit to settle on his own before going back in if needed. One thing I learned while doing this is that he stays awake far longer when I'm in the room than when I'm not so the soon you can get out, the better! If it helps, our routine is to read a few books, rock for a few minutes, put him into his bed and rub his back a few times then leave. he often briefly protests then goes to sleep. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm going through this with one of my twins right now. I sit in a rocking chair in the room after I've read to them and turned out the lights. I close my eyes and pretend to sleep and that usually helps them go to sleep. I never had to sit with them before but I think now that they know they can get in and out of bed, it's a bit of a temptation. We've tried a gate at the door but the one we have doesn't stay put. If after a few minutes of sitting with them they're not asleep, I leave the room, hold the door shut and put a pillow on the floor so he can't see my feet. I don't really like doing that but it's a lot less energy to do that than it is to continually keep putting him back in his bed like on Super Nanny. So my answer, find a way to make it so he can't leave his room whether it be with a gate or closing the door.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009