what should i take with me?

to the hospital? All my family said bring something to pass the time after the baby's born...Any ideas?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Books, music, favorite movies (a lot of birthing rooms now have TVs with DVDs and/or VCRs), comfortable jammies that you can easily BF in if you're planning on nursing, your own pillow...
    Anonymous

• how long do I stay in the hospital after the baby is born? I know this sounds likea dumb question, but its my first so I'm a little dumb at this
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sad to say, the length of your stay may depend on your insurance. With my first, I delivered right after midnight so I stayed the rest of that night, the day, & the next night. My insurance allowed one overnight stay after the birth so since I delivered after midnight, the night I was there in labor didn't count that way. My second, I delivered right after noon & left the next morning. My 3rd, I delivered early afternoon & stayed 2 nights but she was in the NICU so they let me stay with her. I had all vaginal deliveries. If you have a C-section, you will probably stay 5-7 days. Talk to your doctor/midwife about their general policies as that should give you an idea. I can honestly say that one night was more than enough for me. With the 3rd, I seriously considered checking myself out AMA, I just stayed for her health. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I took my laptop. The days after you have the baby are pretty boring. But take your preferred feminine pads with you because they give you some that are like jumbo diapers.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 1:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The length may depend on your insurance but also on the health of you and the baby. I had to stay 5 days after my 1st was born and we had medicaid, my baby also had to stay 5 days in the NICU. My 2nd, I was induced thursday night, had my baby via c-section at 9:30 am on friday, and released sunday because we were both in good health.

I'd bring your own pads, because they give you pads big enough for an elephant! Also, travel size dental care and shampoo/conditioner, comfortable jammies and a robe, underwear, reading material, stuff like that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• haha thats funny about the pads... Ok so I have Medicaid- CHC. so how long will that allow me too stay for? I don't want to stay longer then 1day...
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would definitely first say, you should only bring things according to your personality, if you do not like being in the hospital or if you are an impatient person, then I would suggest all the music, books, etc. THe most important thing I found was comfort. I brought my pillow from my bed and the softest blanket I own. If you have a favorite new baby thing, such as a stuffy or blanket, I used a blanket and just kept it with me during the contractions. People always tell you to bring tons of stuff with you, but i loaded up and I swear I didn't touch anything I brought except for the things I already mentioned & also my toothbrush. When it came to the under garments and pads and such, I mean once you have the baby, you aren't shy about the nurses & doctors touching you so I didn't mind them changing the pad & stuff under me, while I layed in the bed. I bled a lot after so the pads from the hospital were fine for me personally.
    ForgivenLev420

Answer by ForgivenLev420 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• well I brought a shit ton of things that I NEVER touched.
    but the things I did use were, PADS (theres SUUUCCCCKK) tooth brush/paste hair care products, PJ's, socks, Ipod and a book and a very loose fitting outfit for going home in.
    things I needed other than that were babies first outfit to go home in, and a rear facing car seat- they gave me a diaper bag, with all kinds of things in there (including enough diapers to get me home)
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009