why would anyone still breast feed a 3 years old?

If they are old enough to be potty train and talk; they are too olf to be BF.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In your opinion, sure. They're too old to be BF.

But who's to say what's right for another family? I plan on breastfeeding my daughter (currently 13 months) until she decided to self-wean. Most babies wean by the time they're 2 or so. But if she's not ready, we won't wean.

Self-led weaning is in the best interest of the child, in my opinion.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 1:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• TROLL

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Thats your opinion. Why give a child cows milk when you can give it HUMAN milk made for human consumption. Your just trying to cause problems.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I really just don't understand why so many people are SOOOOO concerned about how other families live their lives.

Would I BF a 3 yr old? no
    Is it any of my business if my nextdoor neighbor still does? no

Unless the woman is showing up every day to her Kindergartener's class to whip out a tit at snack & lunch time......who gives a sh*t?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• DS is 2 years and 3 months and starting to show slight signs of weaning, but I think it will be for a few more months at least, as I am also for self-weaning. My DD self weaned at 13 months, but DS just love his mommy time. I NEVER saw this for myself, but here I am, its not as crazy as you think, in fact, its completely natural. I get that people think its weird, and I don't advertise that my son is still BFing because of people like OP that think its SHOCKING and FREAKISH (gasp!), but for those that have been there they know just how far from the truth it is. I know this benefits my child in more ways that I can imagine.
    Anonymous

• So, OP, what is an acceptable age for a child to BF to?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• wow, No I would BF til 3 and would prob. be one of those people looking with a weird look on my face. Sorry to say, just how I feel.
    Anonymous

• There's nothing wrong with a three year old drinking human milk. Most kids wean by that age but some continue a bit longer. There's nothing wrong with it and it's so good for the health of both child and mother. It has nothing to do with the ability to speak or use a toilet.

I can't help but notice that posters speaking up in favor of breast feeding are forming well thought out and coherent posts and the posters against it really aren't. I'm not one to nitpick spelling and grammar on the internet usually (certainly not immune to typos!) but this correlation is interesting.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Because they love their child, enjoy breastfeeding, and want to continue giving their child the health benefits that BF provides. I stopped breastfeeding my DD at around a year and a half, but that's because I was 8 months pregnant and didn't want to nurse a newborn and a toddler at the same time. My DD will be 3 in two months, and she still seems baby-ish enough to me to BF her comfortably had I continued. Most psychologists and doctors agree that BFing up to age 5 is completely fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Because there's no good reason NOT to breastfeed a three year old.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009