is it ok to eat seafood while im pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The concern with seafood is in the mercury levels, and different types of seafood have different levels of mercury. Some kinds you can eat in moderation, some you shouldn't eat while you are pregnant. Use google to find some websites listing the mercury levels in different kinds of fish and other ocean critters and the amount it is safe to consume while you are pregnant.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• some fish are no no's and some are ok but it's best to make sure if you do eat fish that you have no more then 12oz of fish per week. i did some searching online cause was craving seafood like crazy and wanted to make sure if i could or couldn't cause i heard your not supposetoo especially sushi which is what i desired the most. good thing is i don't crave it anymore. salmon you should avoid,tuna and maccoral not sure i spelled that right. search seafood pregnancy and you'll get lots of info.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• the sea food my doctor told me NEVER to eat was swordfish, shark, and anytime of clams or shell fish, and lobster and crab isn't much better. Ask your OB for lititure on mercury and what you can and can't eat to be on the safe side.

judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• When I was first pregnant I couldn't handle the smell of fish...so I just didn't eat it....I would double check with your doctor to make sure what fish you can or can't have cause there are lots of fish that are okay but some are definatley high in mercury...I was okay eating tuna in my second/third trimester in small amounts....until you know for sure from you doctor I would refrain from eating any type of seafood...
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 1:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• They've changed things real recently. Less than a year ago when I was preg I could have small amounts of tuna, but now my OB says no tuna. Though I've still had it twice :). My OB said nothing raw of course and try to avoid deep sea fish. I got the ok on shellfish, like shrimp, crawfish, and crabs, and have had those.

Here's a great chart I found:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm
    MyJoieDeVivre

Answer by MyJoieDeVivre at 1:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• you can eat imatation crab and samon hering and sardine but real seafood i wouldnt risk it use google or look at your pregnancy list of dos and donts
    21_n_pregnant

Answer by 21_n_pregnant at 2:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009