What would you do?

We rented the place we are in June of last year. We have been renting for a year and everything has been great. Well this Monday my husband got a bang on the door and the guy had papers like a survey person does. So my husband told him that he did not have time to talk to him and the guys response was you will talk to me or I will call the Sheriff. Okay so of course my husband was all ears then. Well it turns out my landlord is being foreclosed on. His court date is Aug 3 I think? It may be the 30th. Now in normal circumstances I would continue to pay on my current lease. My lease is up on June 30. I do not want to sign another lease on a property that is in foreclosure and I do not have the money needed to move into another place right now. What do I do? I cant keep paying him knowing I may still have to move in August and still come up with money for a new place. I dont want to sign another lease in this situation.

capemomofalyssa

Asked by capemomofalyssa at 1:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• What an awful situation to be in. So sorry you and your family are experiencing this.

Have you talked to the owner about just paying rent for July and not signing a new lease? The best I can recommend is getting out ASAP and into a new apartment/rental home.

Best of luck to you.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would look for another place as soon as possible. My daughter just found out the same thing about her appt. she is a single mom. She cant aford to pay her rent and a deposit on another place. I hope this is not the same appt. my daughter is in.
    hcashe216

Answer by hcashe216 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• im so sorry to hear, do you have relatives you could stay with until you save up some money? or try talking to the owner about your situation. best of luck to you and your family.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Maybe you could find some free legal advice in your area. If the house is in foreclosure and you still pay rent, where is the money going? In the landlord's pocket? It's not going for the mortgage any more is it? JMO, maybe you could save up July and August's rent and that would be enough to move. Just make sure with someone that he can't take you to court for non-payment. Good Luck!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ummm some places are really willing to work with you on the rent and such..like maybe you can find a place that you can pay the first months rent, and then tell them you can come up with the deposit in 30-60 days....if you find someone renting their home privately i bet theyd be willing to help you, you have good payment history, and if you explain..i dont know...most people my mom rented from were really cool about it!!! other wise..i dont know, id talk to someone about paying not paying the last months rent!! if your supposed to get a deposit back from the place your in now, could you afford a new place!? GL hun!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I hate to say it, but if he is not paying his mortage, can you really count on him to pay you your deposit back? Unfortunatly I would still look at finding a new place to rent. Talk to you landlord and ask him to be upfront with you about the status of the foreclosure. I have a friend who was renting a house that was foreclosed on and the sheriff showed up and told him that he had to be out of the property within hours. He did not have any idea that it was coming. Foreclosures can take time though depending on what stage he is in. You may have some time and you may not. Sorry to see you stuck in this situation.
    SnuggyBaby

Answer by SnuggyBaby at 11:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2009