Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do these statements really mean in difference..from catholicism and lutheran

"The split between Lutherans and the Roman Catholic Church arose mainly over the doctrine of Justification before God. Lutheranism advocates a doctrine of justification "by grace alone through faith alone because of Christ alone," which contradicted the Roman view of "faith formed by love", or "faith and works".

and, "Unlike the Reformed Churches, Lutherans retain many of the liturgical practices and sacramental teachings of the pre-Reformation Church. Lutheran theology differs considerably from Reformed theology in a variety of ways, including Christology, the purpose of God's Law, divine grace, whether one is "once saved always saved," and predestination.

Answer Question
 
moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 11 (573 Credits)
Answers (22)
  • I don't know exactly what you are asking. Do you mean to ask if this is true?

    I do know that one of the things that Luther was enraged about concerning the Catholic church was the selling of indulgences and how Rome was a marketplace of fake relics. The Church at that time was basically selling people false spirituality.

    People would buy certificates (indulgences) from the Catholic church to buy themselves out of hell or purgatory. They would give all their money to buy out their relatives. It is terrible that that was allowed to happen. That is so unbiblical!!! I agree with the protestant movement in so many ways.

    One of my favorite movies is Luther (the one with Joseph Fiennes). It is so inspiring and it is all about Martin Luther's life, experience with the Lord, rebellion against the church, and translating the Bible into the language of the people. It is soooo good.
    Cinnamon-mom

    Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • everything the above poster said is true. Also the Catholic attitude that humans have to DO something before God will forgive them is a big difference. Lutherans teach that a human only needs to Believe. Works come later. Nobody can earn they way into heaven through works. Of course what the Catholic church teaches NOW is much closer to what Luther taught than what the Catholic church was teaching in his time. But the Catholic church has created new "traditions" that are unbiblical since then. Something about the structure of that church just isn't right. The idea that the Pope is Go's infalibale representative is very corrupting.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • where did the D go? God's
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • so for a lutheran..just believing ie saved by grace etc is fine...for catholics its not only believing but you have to earn that right to be saved along with the faith?
    moki1984

    Answer by moki1984 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • Yes there was a problem with indulgences. That had more to do with corrupt priests.  The Vatican has always taught against this.  Look to Christs words on the goats and sheep. The Sheep did cloth the naked, fed the hungry, housed the homeless, cared for the sick. While the goats just prayed. and told God how good they were.  Being holy ( or close as a human can be) is a on going process. We do have to work at it. We need to pray for help everyday. For we fall little each time we have a opportunity to help someone and we belittle them or just freeze up and don't do anything. or think we just don't have the time. As for the Pope being infallible, that is only in the teachings of Christ. He is to keep them and remind us of them. Not everything He writes or says is infallible.

    oldermomof5

    Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • Being holy is not a requirement for salvation. As I said the "concept" that a human being can be infallible in anything is laughable and the root cause of corruption in the Catholic church. The Vatican AT THE TIME certainly did endorse indulgences and was more than willing to murder Luther for his bringing their misdeeds to light.

    Doing good in the world is an indicator of what is in your heart. Obviously we need more people to do more good works in the world. But that doesn't mean that a church body should be threatening people with hell if the "freeze up" etc. Or laying hugh amounts of guilt on them for sins that they have already been forgiven for. The Lutheran church is about forgiveness without this lingering guilt that you still have to do penance for everything even though Jesus has already paid in full at the cross. Jesus didn't just pay 90% and your Hail Mary's get you the other 10%. He said "It is finished"
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • Jesus says,be ye holy as Iam holy,I believe we have to be holy,try not to sin and if we sin we can ask for forgiveness but we have to try to stay out of sin and try to live a sinfree lifestyle.I believe we are saved by grace but we have to prove our love to God by doing good works.The Bible says;faith without works is dead.
    countingsparows

    Answer by countingsparows at 6:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • do you all just banned together and study up on a the false teachings of the Catholic Church. LOL

    BTW-the only thing Catholics HAVE to "DO" before God will forgive them is ASK God to forgive.

    Stop your Catholic bashing and actually learn.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • "The Lutheran church is about forgiveness without this lingering guilt that you still have to do penance for everything even though Jesus has already paid in full at the cross. Jesus didn't just pay 90% and your Hail Mary's get you the other 10%. He said "It is finished" "

    so with catholicism we have to take a bit more action on our sins...but with other denominations, jesus is seen as just 100% all for us, complete and open minded love and trust without any penance?

    thats a deep thought to ponder on.....complete open mind, open heart, open forgiveness, open salvation, open love...for just believing. whether you believe its true or not....if it is true, isnt that pretty incredible? none of us offer 100% or else we wouldnt be on here judging and hating. instead we would stop pushing and just accept everyone as they are and care for them no matter if we disagree and not bitch.
    moki1984

    Answer by moki1984 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • if that is true anon, then back it up, i asked this question to hear both sides of the story
    moki1984

    Answer by moki1984 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN