Trying to loose weight?

I had a historectomy 9 years ago. I have gained alot of weight because I tried to quit smoking but was not succesful. If you have a historectomy you have no matabolism, will that make it even harder to loose? And how do I boost my metabolism?

hcashe216

Asked by hcashe216 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Health

• The only thing that really boosts your metabolism is EXERCISE! Eating right helps to- this means adding a lot more fiber to your diet then you probably have right now, cutting down on the bad carbs (like refined flours and sugars), and cutting down on your red meat consumption and instead substituting other protein rich foods like nuts and legumes. But exercise is the key. You need to start doing a good bit of cardio at least three times a week, but five times a week preferably. This means jogging, biking, dance, swimming or even a good paced walk. Start slow and every week, add more to your routine (time or different exercises). Make sure you keep your workout routines varied because your body can get used to it!
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 1:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• A hysterectomy can slow your metabolism and increase your water retention. You should be on a low sodium diet (no processed fods, no added salt). In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009