16 week old up every 3 hrs.

My 16 week old daughter is still up every 3-3 1/2 hrs a night to breastfeed. I'm getting the feeling she doesn't really need to eat that often, as sometimes she'll just eat for 1 or 2 mins. and then fall asleep. I know 'all babies are different' and some def. don't sleep through the night at such a young age, but I'm thinking she's now waking out of habit. She can def. put herself back to sleep (she sleeps in her own room) since she does this when she wakes at 5:00am and usually puts herself back to sleep till 7:00am. Anything I can do? Not to be rude, but I'd rather not hear from mothers whose babies were already sleeping through the night at this point (it makes me feel bad!).

danielp

Asked by danielp at 1:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My mom said that I didn't sleep through the night until I was 18 MONTHS old. She nursed me every night. It really does depend on the kiddo, and I doubt it's a habit for her. She probably just wants the comfort and the closeness to you.
    Anonymous

• Are you picking her up the minute she cries? I learned that with at least two of my kids that if I let them fuss for just a minute or two..often they would go right back to sleep. I'm not talking about a screaming baby so all the anti-CIO's stay off my back. All four of the babies I've raised/am raising slept thru at different times. One as early as 6 weeks and one not until he was over 3. I wish there was more I could offer. Hang in there..it gets better.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I co-slept with my babies (them in between me and the safety rail). I started right away with my second; she was a great sleeper through the first year, had a few months of frequent wakings, then it was down to one or two a night.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It is perfectly natural for a breastfed baby to wake up that often if not more. Before picking her up try to rub her back or rock her, if one of those work she may be waking from habit if not she is hungry, even if the feeding is two minutes long, that may be just what she needs. Good luck, not a single one of my seven STTN until well after 2 years old.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• This is normal! My (breastfed) daughter was 8 months old before she slept six solid hours. Honestly, I don't know how I managed to work full time through this.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sorry to announce that this is pretty normal for a lot of babies. Heck, my 22 mo old has plenty of nights where he nurses every 3-4 hrs!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009