Is formula really the same as breastmilk?

Some of y'all are in some serious denial. Its actually quite sad. Some people say that breast milk is the same as formula when even on the formula container is states breast milk is best. So can we all agree that breast milk is better? Now this is not about who's a better mom, we all love our kids and do whats best for them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Dude, STFU. Everyone knows breast milk and formula are not the same thing and that breast milk is best. That doesn't mean it's always the best option for someone.
    Anonymous

• anon 155, the OP didnt say it IS the best option for everyone! and not everyone gets educated about breastfeeding! I did both!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think we can all agree that yes, breast milk is best (even as you said, the formula states it). However, sometimes it is not an option. I don't think a mother should be ostracized for not BFing if she cannot produce enough, or has some other major reason not too!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• not its not the same, breast is milk is better, personally i did formula because i was young and honestly didnt have much time to BF, but with my next child i will try BF first but probably end up doing both.
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• of course it isn't the same, it isn't even close....

"even on the formula container is states breast milk is best." (ditto!)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree that breast milk is the best thing you can give your baby. However I don't think that just breastfeeding makes you a great mother. Some people cant breastfeed and that does not make them any less a mother than anyone else. You can breastfeed but be lacking in another area as with any other parenting decision. I do feel that all women should at least try to breastfeed if they don't have AIDS, take medication or do drugs but if they don't that wont make them any less of a mother.
    Anonymous

• I think we can all agree that breastmilk is not formula the same way purell and germ x hand sanatizers are not the same product. Sure they have the same basic affect, but the ingredients are not the same. :)
    Anonymous

• I haven't seen any "formula moms" claim that they are the same. Every one I've seen answer a question has clearly stated that "breast is best".

What I have seen is tons of breastfeeding moms go over the top - accusing non-breastfeeding moms of not loving their child, not being educated, deliberetly harming their child, and making claims that any problems a formula fed kid has is his moms faut... even when breast fed kids have the same issues. The pushiness and holier-than-thou attitude actually hurts their cause can I know of several moms who don't like to tell people they breastfeed simply because they don't want people to think they are one of "those" moms.

Moms would have a much better time getting their message across if they were not so nasty about it and were accepting of the "different strokes for different folks" attitude.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think we can all agree that breast milk is not formula the same way purell and germ x hand sanitizers are not the same product. Sure they have the same basic affect, but the ingredients are not the same. :) I like this answer!
    great answer!!! I think that its like a coach bag, and a knock off. Both look the same from a distance but one will have to be replaced in a few months and the other last a few years. Its the overall quality of the milk that the child receiving. But I actually have heard mothers say things like formula is just as good as breast milk, and they know this girl who knows this girls who friends breastfed and her kids are not smart, and always ill.
    misssy2000

Answer by misssy2000 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• well obviously. the reason i gave my baby formula isn't because i thought it was better than breast, but because she would have died of starvation since i wasn't producing anything. so while breast will always be best, it isn't always an option.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 4:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009