ear infection or teething?

My son is super fussy. I know he's getting in a new tooth. But now he is pulling at his ear, too. Could he have an ear infection or is it just a part of teething? He is running a fever as well...but he always does when he's teething. So, any ideas?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's hard to say. OFten times kids will pull at their ears when teething. Try putting oragel on his gums. If he calms down and leaves his ear alone after that, it's most likily the teething.
    Anonymous

• With him pulling on his ears and running a fever, it is definitely possible that it's and ear infection, unfortunately, only your doctor can tell you for sure.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• GO TO THE DOCTOR.
    Anonymous

• call your pediatrician
    Delshoney

Answer by Delshoney at 2:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It could be both.
    The swelling and irritation from the teething could cause the ears to stop draining - which can lead to an ear infection.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I gave him some tylenol and he's cheerful again! Yay! I'm just going to keep an eye on him.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2009