How do I get my 7 week old to eat without falling asleep?

My 7 week old eats about 3 ounces of formula every four hours. After about 1/2 an ounce, she falls asleep and I have to keep wiggling the bottle to get her to wake up. It sometimes takes up to an hour to get her to finally finish eating becauseshe continues to fall asleep and stop sucking every few seconds. What can I do to help her stay awake and get the food she needs.

your_smoopy

Asked by your_smoopy at 1:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tickle her feet, undress her, tickle her ribs or back. Stuff like that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Until she gets a little older its almost impossible! Just bare with her and keep wiggling the bottle. maybe try sitting her up more....dont make it as comfortable for her while she's eating. thats what i had to do with my dd until she was bout 2 and a half months.
    Anonymous

• Don't force it on her. If she falls asleep, let her sleep until she wakes up and is actually READY to eat. She's growing right now, so her little body needs lots of rest. Babies won't starve themselves, so just be patient, let her eat her 1/2 oz, and when she's actually hungry she'll eat more. As long as she's thriving, she's getting enough food. You only worry if she's losing weight.
    Anonymous

• my son's dr suggested that if I noticed my son falling asleep while BF, I should pull him off the bottle, sit him up and wake him up, talk to him, etc. Then continue to feed him, when he was more awake.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 2:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• usually they will wake up when you burp them. But it also depends how big she is at 7 weeks. If she is a small baby that may be all that she needs.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• make sure your baby is actually hungry before feeding her. She might just be a little hungry of fussy and wants comfort. Rub her feet or tickle her belly and make sure she is fully awake when it's time to eat.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my sons doc told me to pinch his feet...he was 6 weeks early but thats what i had to do
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009