Do breech babies hurt more?

I know that sounds silly. I am in so much pain sometimes though. My doctor is so concerned with the mobility my baby has at 36 weeks that they are talking about induction. I'd rather wait but don't baby to turn or get hurt. I also have contractions already... Those aren't hurting baby are they? If in the breech position do you have more pain and how much can it hurt baby? Doctors always tell you one thing- then crazy women on CM tell you another. Just trying to get all sides here!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i'm not sure about if they hurt more. my baby wasn't breech. but, here is some different info for you on breech births.
    "breech" babies can turn at any time, even during labor.
    also, they can be delivered vaginally too.
    http://www.homebirth.net.au/search/label/breech (there's a video about 3/4ths down the page of a video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHF08AuLiUc
    and, there are ways to turn the baby.
    http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/turning_a_breech_baby
    http://www.spinningbabies.com/

there are 2 videos of vaginal breech births and 2 websites on how to turn the baby at home safely. if you want to research some more of these, just google. also, you can contact a local doula and she can give lots of good info on breech births.

the contractions aren't going to hurt the baby. if the baby does turn, it's not going to hurt him/her.
    Anonymous

• my first was breech, and because of the position he was in, they had to give me a c-section. His hips would have both broken if i had delivered him vaginally. I tried to turn him, but nothing worked. My dr. refused to turn him for me, and my water broke at 36 weeks. Good luck!
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have two close friends that have delivered breech babies vaginally. It is a complication, but can be dealt with if you have an experienced practictioner that knows how to handle breech vaginal deliveries. Most doctors are no longer taught how to do it, so they just do c-sections. It does depend on the position of the baby (there are certian, extremely rare positions that do require a c-section); however, like I said, I know women that have safely delivered breech babies. My midwife was experienced in breech babies - she had delivered many. Look up your options - first of all you'd want to do everything possible to get the baby to move on his/her own.
    I may very well be in your position in a month or so - my baby seems to want to stay in breech position too!
    Oh, and I'd do everything possible to not be induced - your chance for complications increases dramatically when induced. Just look up the side effects of the drug. GL!
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My last son was breech and not breech my whole last pregnancy. My Dr was always worried about his position, that he was breech, but when I'd have an u/s, he'd be the right way. I had an u/s to check for postion on the Mon before he was born, he was head down and then the night before I was induced (9 days late) he turned breech (at first I thought it was labour starting, but nope just him flipping over). I wasn't in any more pain with him than with my other two boys. At our local hospital they won't do vaginal delivery of a breech baby so I ended up with a c/s.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The drug I mention is Pitocin, used for induction.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Oh, also - breech baby labor is not necessarily worse than normal labor. I've heard the pain is more in your back instead of your tummy; however, I think it really just depends on your body and your birth. Each is different.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009