do kids still use there imagination or is that gone now???

ok my 2 sd's will sit and watch t.v all day if allowed or they will play with some toys but eaither way there always "bored" then u send them outside and i swear im not fibbing when i say they will sit there looking at the ground. i give them ideas, things to do and still they just sit there. BUT if my dd is around ( not much older then them ) then they play and run around cant keep anyone in the house. but only if my dd is around. even my dd has said what will u do if im not here, dd had asked why dont they do there own thing and i say idk. even if were at a lake its the samething they just sit but if dd is around there swimming and playing. i have said guys use you imagination go play have fun be a kid. ( swimming i was a mermaid, if i was in the woods i was xploring ) whats up with kids now adays? we have had days of rain, its finaly nice out and i have to force them outside and enjoy it. not to sit and watch t.v argghh..

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My ten year old is full of imagination. Maybe because he isn't allowed to watch tv or play video games all day. He reads a lot and plays by himself and with his brothers. I think a lot has to do with tv and vg's. I believe it, when they say it rots your brain.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I know what you mean my step kids are the same way. My kids play outside all day and are always into everything. But when the stepkids comeover they always complain that they are bored and there is never anything to do at our house. ss is 8 and he thinks that it is everyone else's job to entertain him.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• yes kids use there imagination alot i have a 3 yr old whos to play alone and he has a blast i try to do things with him but he runs outside in the back yard or to his room and just plays with his toys or at times hell be in the living room thorwing himself like if hes fighting with someone LoL... at times i be like what are you doing and he will make sounds like if he were spiderman he loves it. sometimes its good to let them play alone not all the time but yes they imagination to play
    MS.VERONICA

Answer by MS.VERONICA at 2:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• see they dont have vidio games and i dont allow all day t.v and my dd when shes not in school or at her dads shes outside taken bike rides building a fort. but idd is still in school and i have my 2 sd's for the summer and they just sit do nothing and when i send them outside they have no clue what to do i have given ideas and still nothing. but as soon as dd is up the driveway there like what do u want to do? and my dd will say i was thinking rideing my bike. and off they all go. but if its just them nothing im like are u guys like this at your moms house? yeah... u should go out do something have fun use your imagination even my dh gets annoyed how they relie on my dd to have fun..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I do remember feeling like there was nothing to do sometimes as a kid. My mother had a great cure for that... If anyone in our family said they were bored, they had to scrub the bathroom with a toothbrush.
    It only happened once, after that we found something to keep ourselves occupied. lol
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We often got bored as kids, we made a list of things to do and looked at it when we got bored.  Sometimes kids need a nudge, an idea and it will spur them on to use their imagination...have them check out this Summer Fun/Activity List http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• As kids grow up, you can't control what they do... you can order them to be creative, or go out and play, or even be friends with someone. I'd just try to give them opportunities to do different things. You can't force them to go out and play, butyou can have them turn off the TV a bit - I wouldnt' go overboard, or they'll just resent it - but tell them its time to do anything they want other than watch TV - read a book, go out an play, cook with you, reorganize their room, or just stare at the ceiling. Even as far as TV goes, I'd try to rent a few movies - and you can make a little event out of it with popcorn or whatever... it might lead to a few laughs if you watch it together.

It's not that surprising that they get bored with each other and having someone around changes the routine a bit - see if you can do that a bit more, too.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 9:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2009

• is your daughter older? That is great that they find that fun! Some kids are more imaginative than others....some need more stimulation.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2009

• Lol! I can't get my dd to stop using her imagination sometimes. I just think it depends on the chilld and how they are wired also the maturity level has a lot to w/it too. Are they too mature for dolls? American girl dolls? Do they read? Maybe getting them to the library and into summer reading might get their imaginations flowing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jul. 14, 2009