Half my nail is falling off, what should I do?

The other half is not coming off at all. I smashed it in the car door a while ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Health

• Nothing just hope that it grows back is all you can do:(
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 2:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• From the way it sounds, I would cut the part that's hanging off so it doesn't get snagged and rip off the part that is still where it belongs.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If there is any part hanging, trim it down until you reach an attached portion so that it won't snag and rip off. As the new nail grows in, it will push this remaining broken nail off slowly. Eventually the new nail will grow in. It just takes a bit of time. Make sure that if the nail bed is exposed that you keep that area clean and watch for signs of infection (redness, streaking, pus, etc.) until the new nail grows back.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 6:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009