$100 to ride the bus?

So, a public school in Kansas has decided to start charging $100/yr for kids to ride the bus if they live more than 2 1/2 miles from the school.

What do you think?

Laura1229

Asked by Laura1229 at 2:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it sounds like they're having trouble with funding. If there are programs in place to help those unable to afford it - payment plans, assistance, etc, then I'm fine with it. It only amounts to around 50 cents a day. I'd rather they cut funding for busing and pass those fees on to the parents than cut an academic program.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i think that is horrible pretty soon they are going to make us pay for a so called free education
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• that's actually not a bad idea. the funding could go to school programs and such if the buses are being paid for. transportation is expensive and gas is insane, can you imagine filling a fleet of bus tanks every week? that's gotta be expensive.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• thats how it is here for high school. my dd isent there yet but my neighbors daughter is and they have to pay 50.00 a year for a bus pass and if they dont have a pass to bad get a ride. i know its hard for my neighbors because her husband lost his job and her job barly pays rent let alone a bus pass i remember she has to tell landlord she will be 50 short on rent because she needed to get a bus pass. i understand doing it to keep teacher jobs but still i think its stupid and they should come up with something that helps us all out. times are still tough for us all. i just dont know its a up and down thought.
    Anonymous

• I didn't go to a public school so we had no buses. Kids had to find their own way to school. I lived about 8 miles from my high school. They had buses but only for kids that lived less then 2 miles from the school and it was like $500 a year to take the bus. My mom (or someone else) drove me every morning and I had to catch the city bus home ($.75 every day) along with a hundred other kids (on every bus). It took 45 minutes to get home.
    I don't know what I would have done if my dd's public school had charged for buses. I didn't have a car and the school was too far away to walk (it was maybe a mile away but up this huge hill and all the streets leading to it were unsafe to walk on (narrow, no sidewalks, blind turns and people speeding). I guess I would have been forced to homeschool her because we couldn't have afford to pay for her busing. It would have been crazy because EVERY kid at the school took the bus.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I guess I would just have to ask if they have payment plans. We live 25 miles from the school so my kids have to ride the bus. $100 a year would only be $10 a month, if they let you pay at the first of every month. It would cost me way more than that to drive my kids to school and pick them up every day. I wouldn't mind paying it if it meant that they weren't ckutting funding from academic programs.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My daugher will be paying $4 a day in public transit to travel to and from high school. $100 a year would be a bargain!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• They already charge in many towns near where I live (including mine) They only charge for grades 7-12 and it's $100-$200 depending the town.That's per child. Most towns do have a limit per family. (the there's the fee for sports/ extra curricular activities)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009