Monkey see Monkey do...does it work?

@ the park I see moms going crazy with their toddlers teaching them how to climb, slide, etc. Poor moms!
My son didn't need all the attention when we started going to the park he would be seated in his stroller looking at all the other toddlers...eventually he started to go close the playground equipment and tried to climb, yesterday I was amazed that he can actually use the slide and he is only 13 months old.
I didn't have to go on the slide with him to teach him.
I don't want to sound rude but some moms really need to let go and relax. I get tired just looking some parents doing everything for their toddlers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I understand what you are saying. Sometimes parents work really hard to get their child to "master" something, pushing to have the youngest kid climbing or swinging. Sometimes it's a parent just trying to coax a timid kid along though and it can be hard to tell the difference without knowing the child.

I'll warn you, it gets worse as the kids get older. I know parents who pretty much do their kindergartener's homework so it's "right" or looks the best. What on earth does that teach a kid? (1) I can't learn anything without tons of help and guidance and (2) My best efforts are not good enough. One mom bragged that when her daughter had to draw a picture about something in a story they read together, she (the mom) printed out a picture from the story online, helped her 5 year old color it, and wrote the description herself since she had been a cheerleader and knew how to print neatly on posters.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• its not about teaching the toddlers to climb and slide. its about interacting with them, having a good time and a little physical activity. its called having fun, you should try it!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• chandra034 I do have fun with my son. I was saying that my son didn't need all the "pushing". He loves other toddlers, he smiles at them and says (babbling) hello.
    Anonymous

• A better use of your time and energy would be to focus on your son and not on how other mothers around you interact with their children. When you think about it, is it really that big of a deal?
    Anonymous

• Above poster. It was just an observation. Don't you think that toddler should be left alone for 5 seconds to interact between them. I'm tired of mothers going on and on about what the kids should be saying. The toddlers look like puppets. Don't take it this as an insult is just a form to express my analogy.

Anonymous

• I would say that I supervise how my son plays I don't push my son to do things I think he should be or not doing. op
    Anonymous

• I was one of those parents following their toddlers around but...my son is fearless and my daughter clumsy...I always feared them tumbling off the higher places where it is open....I remember once seeing a maybe 2-3 year old her shoe stuck @ the top of the slide and she fell head first off the top...very scary moment.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 3:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I understand what you are saying. Sometimes parents work really hard to get their child to "master" something, pushing to have the youngest kid climbing or swinging. Sometimes it's a parent just trying to coax a timid kid along though and it can be hard to tell the difference without knowing the child. I'll warn you, it gets worse as the kids get older. I know parents who pretty much do their kindergartener's homework so it's "right" or looks the best. What on earth does that teach a kid? (1) I can't learn anything without tons of help and guidance and (2) My best efforts are not good enough. One mom bragged that when her daughter had to draw a picture about something in a story they read together, she (the mom) printed out a picture from the story online, helped her 5 year old color it, and wrote the description herself since she had been a cheerleader and knew how to print neatly on posters.

thank you. op

Anonymous

I'm not talking about cases like yours.
    Anonymous

• trust me toddlers do pick up on what they see and hear....my little girl learns a lot by observing whats around her
    Blakesbabygirl

Answer by Blakesbabygirl at 5:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009