How can i get over my anxiety of leaving my son alone?

My son is 3 months and i rarely leave him alone. When he is in his swing or his activity gym i feel bad because he is just there playing by himself so i pick him up and play with him because I'm scared that he feels lonely. He has yet to sleep in his own room because i fear that we wont hear him over the monitor. Is there anything i could do to help me with my separation anxiety?

Dylansmom32509

Asked by Dylansmom32509 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've had that same problem. but i really hope you overcome this anxiety because it will be extremely difficult when your baby is older & is extra clingy. it's important for your baby to learn to play by himself because you can't hold him all day, it's near impossible. if he doesn't fuss, allow him to play alone in a safe place, a bouncy seat, playpen, etc, but make sure you don't wander too far. and i was afraid my monitor wouldnt pick up my baby's cry either, so i kept a playpen in the living room and the crib in our room, that way she could always have a place near me. but if you still can't get over the anxiety of being apart, get a baby carrier or sling to bring him everywhere with you. after a few hours it takes a toll on your back, though. =P but just give baby lots of toys & let him know you aren't too far by talking to him or singing while you aren't holding him.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You are doing just fine. When he gets a little older, he will demand to be put down and you will get over it or he will cry a lot. I would say that it's important for them to be able to entertain themselves for short periods of time, but he is only three months old so he has plenty of time to learn that.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• btw, at 3 months, i was never away from my baby's for more than 3 minutes to use the bathroom anyway, lol. that's probably why they are so clingy! it's tough just to get some cooking done. i have it easier now though, since my LO is walking and loves playing with her sister. but when she notices i've been gone for 5 minutes in the kitchen, bathroom, anywhere, she chases me down. =) i didn't have the heart to let her cry for 2 minutes if i was doing something, so she lived in my arms until she learned how to walk. it was just tiring for me & it made it harder for her to learn to play alone. so start early!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I think it's ok that at 3 months you are still wanting him with you all the time. When my son was a newborn he was in the nicu for 6 days, and I could barely leave him alone to go get something to eat I felt horrible even to leave him for a few minutes. He still sleeps in our room(he's 15 months). I am getting better at letting him do things on his own more. I think they let you know when they need a little more independance.
    Princess_Sarah7

Answer by Princess_Sarah7 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009