If you've been induced with CERVIDIL...I would like to hear your birth stories...I'm nervous!!...I assked earlier but got ZERO answers so I thought I would ask the mama's on in the afternoon! THANKS

If you were induced with a CERVIDIL insert...NOT CYTOTEC ("the little pill" that has to be replaced every 4 hours) I'd like to hear your story.

No offense to anyone who has had Cytotec. But there are MAJOR differences between these drugs.

-Cytotec is not FDA approved for induction. Cervidil is.
-Cytotec can cause contractions. Cervidil ONLY ripes the cervix. Any contractions a women has are on her own accord after her cervix has ripened from the Cervidil.
-Cytotec has a list of risk a mile long. Cervidil has minimal risk which the FDA says can be reversed in 3-12 minutes by simply removing the insert.
-Cytotec can not be removed because it disolves. Cervidil inserts can be.

Anyways my doctor says my blood pressure has gotten to the point where mine and my baby's lives are at risk. She wanted to use Cytotec but I said no so we're usig Cervidil.

I'm just nervous and want to hear other mom's stories! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sis was induced 3 times with cervidil, it didn't work for her. She would have contrax, but nothing that sustained itself after the insert was removed.. Her bp was high too, she was in and out of hospital and on modified bed rest for the last month of her pregnancy. She finally went on her own, but the cervidil did not work for her.

I was induced with a prostglandin gel (inserted just behind the cervix) and it worked great for me, I was 9 days late and started having contrax right away. But my son was breech so I did end up with a c/s.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well sorry i can't be of help but i was induced all five times with Cytotec. Never had one complication with it. It did take a little while to work though.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I didn't realize doc's are still using Cytotec! After all they've found out about the drug - it's still used? Scary.
    Anonymous

• I wanted to note something in your post as a nurse. Cervidil's method of action is to ripen the cervix. If you begin having contractions it is because your body noted a ripe cervix and began. The insert/drug itself does not cause contractions. When I worked L&D we had many, many women that ripened with cervidil (some as long as 24 hours to get there) but no contractions and had to have Pitocin drips. The unit where I worked went almost exclusively to cytotec because it brings labor on in a much faster, more reliable way. Some women do not ripen with cervidil at all. Contractions caused by pitocin are unnaturally fast and hard. Often times the drip rate must be adjusted and readjusted makig labor longer and difficult. I know it's your decision to make I only want to point out some other things.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Cervidil for me wasn't in pill for. It was a small piece of cardboard with the medicine soaked in it with a string, similar to a tampon. It was inserted and left under my cervix to get it to thin out. Didn't work for me because my cervix was too scarred from cancer the year prior. Good Luck to you.

Don't stress Momma, it doesn't hurt and once they insert it, you don't know it's there.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Yes I know all of those things. Thank you though.

I had a severe post partum hemmoragh after being given Cytotec last time so it's not a good choice for me.

Also we are hoping that after cervical ripening takes place I will begin contracting on my own. We are hoping to avoid as much medical intervention as possible even though we are having to go this route because of my blood pressure.
    Anonymous

• No by "little pill" I meant the Cytotec because that's what a lot of people refer to it as.

Cervidil is ass you said an insert which is what we will be using. :)
    Anonymous

• i had cervidil with my first child- they put it in at 8pm halloween night in 2001 and they said they were gonna start the pitocin the next morning but a couple of hours later i started having strong contractions that werent being picked up on the machines so the nurses didnt do anything they said it was probably all in my head- a little while later my water broke and after that a gush of blood- come to find out i had a placental abruption and they had to do an emergency csection but my son passed away 2 days later- i dont mean to scare u but u asked for my story- and there it is....i wish u luck and i hope everything goes well for u- what happened to me is rare and my sis had a cervidil induced labor and had no bad reactions- so dont stress- good luck and God bless!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry for what happen to you.

I've done a lot of research on this drug and I have to say that it sounds to me like your uterus hyperstimulated because your body released Oxytocin and started contracting on it's own.

They are supposed to remove the cervidil insert IMMEDIATELY when contractions start because the E2 (type of progestaglandin in Cervidil) can have a strong reaction with Oxytocin and Pitocin which can cause the uterus to hyperstimulate and there for the placenta to release to early.

I'm really sorry about your horrific experience and your loss. This is why doctors and nurses NEED to listen to women. We know more about what's going on with our bodies than they ever will.

GOD BLESS!!
    Anonymous

• Also if you want more information on the reaction of E2 in Cervidil with Oxytocin visit the FDA website.

I found TONS of information on both Cervidil and Cytotec there.
    Anonymous