Getting "me" time

I’m a SAHM to 3 kids. My DH words as a vice president of marketing for a large corporation. Times are tough of course for everyone but his company cut his pay by 15% for at least the remainder of this year and they are getting no bonuses. They cut the pay of 12 execs just to save the jobs of 7 middle management guys. It’s completely unfair When we had the kids, DH promised me he would always do what he could to ensure I had “me” time. Our kids are 8, 6, & 3. Since the baby was born we have had a sitter come to the house 3 days a week so I can get a break. That’s been my time to shop, get my nails done and just relax from the stress of the home. Now with the pay cut DH says we can no longer afford to have her come. So now I never get a break from managing the house, running the kids, dealing with the cleaning girls and the lawn guys. So how do you ladies make your DH’s understand you need “me” time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Shut up. Seriously.
    Anonymous

• I...uh...

I can't. I just can't even begin to...

OH GOD I THINK MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I get that it is summer and your older kids are home, but why the hell do you need a sitter 3 days a week for a 3 year old?!? How many manicures do you need?

I say tell your DH THANK YOU for working to provide you with a nice life and get a reality check!
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry, "shopping, manicure, cleaning lady, lawn guys" Really?? Okay, the best suggestion I have is fire the cleaning lady, then you can afford to have a sitter come a few days a week.
    Anonymous

• Get a job. That will give you a break from your homelife.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 2:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• pawn the 3 year old. when the economy picks up maybe you can get him out of hock.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 2:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• What an insensitive bastard you married. Tell that lazy man to get a second job. He PROMISED you would have "me time." He needs to stand by that promise.
    jenerica

Answer by jenerica at 2:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• OH GOD I THINK MY EYES ARE BLEEDING

well thats just rude. cant u be a little nicer? she just wants some time off. being a sahm is a hard full time job. OP can u go when ur hubby gets home?
    Anonymous

• I'm a single parent. I mow my own yard, no lawn guys. I also clean my own house, no cleaning ladies. i dont remember the last time I had a manicure. shopping? yeah, i did that yesterday. I bought diapers. be happy with you have!
    Anonymous

• Hear, hear, Anon 2:39.

Deal with it. Most of us SAHM don't get "me time" and never have.

You seem like a completely selfish person. Seven jobs were saved, and you're pissed you can't go out shopping? Seven people can still feed their families, and you're upset that you don't get to go out and have your nails done??? You are a piece of work, lady.

I'm at home every day of the week, and still work nights three days a week to try to keep us caught up on bills (and I don't mean credit card debt because we don't have any). My husband works five days a week, usually at least 45 hours a week, much of the time more than that, and he's working with some major injuries.

So, yeah, deal with it. Your "me time" is not worth the destruction of seven other families.
    Anonymous