which medication is safe?

I have a pretty bad cold and my sinuses are killing me. My baby is 6months old and I am still breastfeeding. Anybody know which meds are safe to take for congestions?

januarymom81

Asked by januarymom81 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tylenol cold & sinus that's what i'm taking & i'm about 8 months preggo GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• tylenol or sudafed...REGULAR sudafed not the pe or sd or whtever else there is
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my doc recommended only using the nasal saline drops. it helped a little, but that's what doc recommended. he said something about cold meds not being safe. he was very vague & i didn't feel like asking any more questions so i just took the drops and left. i'd call your doc though, since mine isn't very reliable with the bf answers. i could be wrong about cold meds being unsafe cuz my doctor is a proven idiot. (prescribed me meds NOT safe for bf once, i asked the pharmacist & they said NOT SAFE, so i went back for another script & he gave me one i was allergic to.)
    Anonymous

• Look at kellymom.com to see what's safe. There's a specific page on colds and allergies. I know that Vick's vapo-rub is safe to use.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Peppermint tea! Peppermint is a great natural decongestant. For your sore throat and cough, make a syrup with honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory). The botulism in the honey will not pass through the breastmilk.

Steam your face as much as you can - put a big towel over your head and lean over a sink; run the hot water and drape the towel over the sink.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Most meds are safe. I have Dr. Hales book, so if you'd like me to look up a specific med, I can. But, do stay away from anything containing psuedoephedrine, as it can dry you up a bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009