What is a Christian to do ...

about Harry Potter?
As a Christian parent, do you let your children read or watch Harry Potter? What about other movies and books that have "witchcraft" in them? Such as The Little Mermaid or The Secret Garden? ect ect.

If the answer is no (you dont let your children watch it) do you as a parent recognize that there is (usually) a big difference between the 'magic' that is done in the books or in the movies and the religious and spiritual magick that many pagans use? Did you give any thought to this BEFORE the Harry Potter books?

If your answer is yes, (you DO let your children watch it) can you explain your thought process and experinces? Why do you let your children watch it? Have you had any serious disagreemnts about this topic with fellow Christians or with your church? Do you teach your children that magic is not real at all? Did you give any thought to this BEFORE the Harry Potter books?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My children can watch Harry Potter and will be able to read the books in the future. Besides, the HP story contains many lessons and morals in addition to being very good entertainment.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My child is two so we havent come to that point yet. I think if he wanted to read Harry Potter or whatever I'd be okay with that. I would teach him that it is a fictional book, thus the contents are also fictional. I think its more about how we raise our children day to day and the lessons we teach them every day. I mean as a child I watched the little mermaid, the secret garden and sabrina the teenage witch. Did it change my beliefs? Absolutely not. It was a form of entertainment.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• No, I do not allow my children to watch Harry Potter or any movies containing witchcraft to that degree. I feel it is my responsibility to teach my children biblical morals not a television show. I do believe however that as a Christian parent God does not want us to turn to the world for anything that contradicts his Word. We are supposed to be the leaders of values and morals, when we give in to what they offer we are giving putting them in place spiritually that God did not intend for them to be.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My dd knows that a movie is just a movie. She understands that the people in movies are just acting or pretending, so yea I let her watch them. She thinks it is neat. As long as your kid knows fiction from reality, I see no harm in it.
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 3:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• What KelleyP77 said.

I feel strong enough in my parenting and in how I have raised my children that allowing them to read FICTION is not going to warp their minds. They know it is just a story, no better or worse than most fairy tales or disney flicks.

My children also know that whenever they have questions, they can always come to me or my DH (or any family member) and ask and know that we will always answer them. I would rather they be exposed to different beliefs and ideas while they are living with my DH and I and asking questions than simply covering it up and acting like it doesn't exist. This way we can tell them our opinions and beliefs and let them think it through for themselves. Then, when they are grown, they will be armed with information and facts rather than just blind belief.
    Anonymous

• I allow my children to read and watch however, I respect ptomom's decision to not allow her children to watch the movies or read the books and understand it her personal choice. I would never tell her she is wrong
    Anonymous

• No, I do not allow my children to watch Harry Potter or any movies containing witchcraft to that degree.

What about Sesame Street, Cinderella, or Snow White?
    Anonymous

• We don't really do tv at all here. As for books my son reads what he wants and has no interest in Potter or any of that junk. He knows it is wrong.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The Bible is FULL of murder, incest and all sorts of debauchery and you're worried about HARRY POTTER???????????
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• IhartU
    You dont even know who i am. so take your judgement somewhere else.
    Anonymous