The cyber generation... what do you think???

I am deeply saddened by the reality that comes with the internt. I watch a show called growing up online: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/kidsonline/

The reality is this is going to effect our children and there are those who will overreact and others that won't react at all. However, it's such a contradiction because here we are on cafemom asking and giving advice on our own lives, and it become much of a source of venting and information for us as it has for our younger counterparts. Is being worried hypocritical? What do you think ???

mommy2_twins

Asked by mommy2_twins at 3:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i dont know. there is ALOT of bad stuff on the internet. and i wouldnt feel comfortable if my dd found the loads of crap on the internet. i would make sure there were certain blocks. im on my computer sometimes and ill get a pron pop up! i dont want my child to see that, i think everyone has the worry, is just a matter of how much you really look into it. it may be hypocritical but its not like we can be on all day. sometimes we need time to ouirselves. and its not like we dont get out and exercise.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i guess i cant really say..i am part of the begaing of the cyber generation...a lot of socializing for me as a teen was done online...through VF and myspace
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I do not think it is hypocritical. I really don't. On here we are first and foremost adults. That does make a difference. A big difference. Thanks for posting the linc to the frontline show. Very interesting.
    Anonymous

• I am VERY strict about my 13 y/o sons access to the internet. I dont allow a myspace, facebook, yada yada new site of the week. Yes I have one. But as pointed out by a previous poster I am an adult. I wont risk my childs innocence simply because Im considered an "overprotective" parent for not allowing him online freely. I have the "kids online" software that reports to me everywhere he goes and limits access. It also sends me copies of sent and rec emails. No I dont think of this as invasion of privacy, it is assurance of his safety. My son has privacy, I dont listen in on his phone conversations, go through his room (but if given a reason to..like theft or drugs you can bet I will),or invade his personal privacy..but I will monitor his activity online until he is an adult. Please know..This is what we feel is best for our family. I am not bashing anyone who does otherwise.

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 5:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I work in IT, so I see alot of cyber saavy people. But these days, in any job, I think kids need to learn to operate in a cyber world. Of course, its just like when they learn to read.. you watch what they read to ensure it is appropriate, but as they are older, they can easily get their hands on alot of stuff that isn't appropriate. Idem for TV, and the internet is the same.... so you have to watch them when they are young, and education them as they grow up.

But keep in mind there are many postive things about technology to. You can get a hold of you kid on a cell phone, you can also see who he talks to in the chats or on the phone, photos can show their good and bad sides, etc. I often remind my kids about the dangers of taking inappropriate pictures, but even more, the fact that if they are doing something wrong, likely someone has a phone, will take a pic and those are the pics that circulate fast and wide.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 12:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009