can a single mother join the army and enlist on active duty?

SouthernMama985

Asked by SouthernMama985 at 4:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• yes
    blkbeauty68

Answer by blkbeauty68 at 4:38 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Why would you want to? Who will take care of your kids? What happens to your children if something should happen to you? Have you asked yourself the tough questions?
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 5:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Each branch of the military has it's owns rules and regulations in regards to single parents joining. I know that in the Army you have to give up temporary custody when you go to basic and A.I.T. When you have authorization to have your dependant accompany you then you will need to do a long and short term family care plan. You need to talk to a recruiter of the particular branch you want to join though because they will be able to give you the specifics.

CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 6:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Absolutly. I am an army wife. You would be more than welcome to join. However, you would need day care or a babysitter during basic training. The Army is a great career. I am so proud of my hubby, he just got promoted to an E-4. So if you do decide to get married one of you can claim the other as a dependant and receive BAH. Which is extra money for housing and such. My husband gets over 1,400 every 1st & 15th of the month. It would be a great opportunity for you trust me. plus, you can't beat free health care!
    MrsSpecialMonty

Answer by MrsSpecialMonty at 7:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• I think it is great that you considering the military as an option. I was a single mother with 2 girls in the Army. I loved it! I am now married to a Soldier and a SAHM. When you talk to the recrutier they will tell you that you can't have more then 2 kids (that is just for your intial enlistment) so will have to sign over custody until you get to your first duty station. You will also have to have a Family Care Plan which you need in case of deployments or TDY. If you fail to maintain the family care plan they can kick you out. I wish you the best of luck it was the best decision I ever made
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 8:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2008

• Why would you do that???? Your children need you more than Bush does!
    AMIRASMOMMY1980

Answer by AMIRASMOMMY1980 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2008

• I think it is awesome that you are willing to do this! Think of all the benefits your child will have!! :) Congrats!! :)
    MissingHimTons

Answer by MissingHimTons at 11:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2008