i feel like there's so much we can do, but it all happens when he's sleeping..

there's so much stuff i want to do with my son since its been gorgeous out for the past week, but when it's the nicest outside he's taking his nap. from 1 until 4 or 5. i don't want to deprive him of his nap but maybe i should make it shorter? like 2 hours instead of 3 or 4? but then i don't want him to be crabby later on because he didn't get as long of a nap. what should i do?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NO!
    Let him sleep. He needs it. He can not grow properly without sleep. The body release growth hormones during sleep. He can not learn properly without sleep. The brain sorts and stores information during sleep. And last - if he's dog-tired, cranky, and just plain miserable because he feels so rotten, just how much will he enjoy all those things you want to share?

He won't take long naps forever. He'll be dropping them on his own soon enough. Let a sleeping kid sleep.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well, whenever I want to take Bella someone, I put her down for an early nap. she's really good at knowing that when I put her in her crib with the lights out, that it's nap time. If I have plans at 1, then she's napping at 11. If I have plans at 11, then she waits it out until 3. No biggee. :)
    j9gem

Answer by j9gem at 4:09 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Let him sleep! As hot as it's getting, it's really only good to go out in the mornings anyway (if you can swing it lol). I'm dealing with the same thing, and have missed a ton of playdates. However, it's what's healthy! You might try putting him down a little earlier and waking him up a little earlier, but 2-3 hours is really really good for little ones!
    CillaTexas

Answer by CillaTexas at 5:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009