My Father in law has Hepatitus C, should I be worried about him infecting us?

I know this sounds ignorant but I just get so paranoid when he is in my home. I found out about 3 years ago that my father in law has Hepatitus C and didn't even bother to tell his girlfriend. He plays it off like nothing is wrong and I'm worried that he will infect my husband, 15 month old daughter and I. I don't even like him to kiss my daughter. Should I be so paranoid?

mrsmendoza2006

Asked by mrsmendoza2006 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Health

• Hep C is blood born, so unless he's bleeding on you, into an open cut of yours, you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• it's not just blood born it;s BODY FLUID born hepatitis is deadly, especially to small children, make sure he has no open wounds or anything like that when around your child
    Anonymous

• As long as they don't share needles, your daughter should be fine

http://www.pegasys.com/basics/hepatitis-c-spread.aspx
    Anonymous

• No needle sharing, no sex, just use basic universal precautions for blood-borne illnesses. You definitely can not be infected with Hep C easily.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 6:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• hepc is only transferred through blood contact , I have hep c in 200 i was diagnosed with it I took 3 shots a week and 6 piills a day for treatment for a year within that year in the 4 months i was in remission , there is   treatment it will not get rid of what it has already done to your liver but it will infact stop the virus from further damaging your liver , I hope that he gets the help he needs with out that he will die just as i could have , but far as you getting it from him only if  his blood gets in contact with yours .... good luck mom !

sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• hi there!! I can understand your worry about this. My husband has had hep c for 15 years now. We have been together 10 years and neither myself OR my daughter have it. Hep C is a lifestyle change but its things that really one should be doing anyways. You cannot get it from unprotected sex unless the both of you have open sores "down there" or sharing a toilet seat from someone etc. Its not as bad as everyone thinks. Perhaps you could read an article or 2 about it cause when taken care of, its not as big a deal as ppl make it out to be. I truly hope that you get the answers you are looking for and please dont be disgusted or look down on your father in law for it!!!
    melissaflowers

Answer by melissaflowers at 1:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2010