My daughter is having trouble gaining weight and the drs want me to make her gain 5 or more pounds by September

My daughter has gained 2 pounds in a year. The dr wants me to make her gain weight. She is 23 pounds and 3 feet tall at 25 months old. Not sure what to do. She is sickly thin. I can count her ribs but she eats 24/7. She carries a box of crackers of cookies around with her and eats normal meals 3 times a day. She also has carnation instant breakfast in her milk to bulk up the calories and still doesnt gain weight. In fact one day she actually lost a pound. Im affraid they will think we neglect her and call CPS because she is not gaining weight. My son is 9 months and 20 pounds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If they call CPS just back up your story with what you said on here. Some kids are like that. Just try to keep your head up and pray that she will gain weight. Did the doctor say about anything that will help her gain. If not ask him what you can do?
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 30 months old and only 25 lbs and 3 ft tall. She doesn't look too small or sickly. If she's active and doesn't act sick or GET sick a lot, I don't really see the problem. I think pushing calories could be really harmful to her health in the long run considering obesity in our country.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't think they will call child services. Rather they will look into why there is so little weight gain. But my daughter is 25 months and weighs 23 lbs. I think she's about 33 inches tall. My daughter eats all the time too but is very active so hasn't gained much weight either. Our doctor said something to my husband about if she eats, but didn't make a big deal about it. My daughter does not look sickly at all. She's tiny, but well porpoirtioned and healthy. Sound like your girl is a little taller so a touch thiner. I'm not so sure I'd call that sickly, either.

What exactly did the doctor say? Did he say why he was so concerned, or how to add the weight? If he didn't give you reasonable guidelines about how to increase your duaghters weight, I would call and request it. I'd also ask about what they plan to do if she doesn't gain weight. Are there tests, nutrietional suppliments, etc.
    Anonymous

• This is a great calorie and nutrition packed snack. It is a treat at our house. Let your daughter "help" make it.

Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Have they looked into reasons for poor weight gain?? Personally, if that were MY kid, we'd be at the allergists office and a GI's office. Allergies can cause poor weight gain and other sneaky symptoms that are often over looked. Celiac can cause poor weight gain, and if she's carrying around a box of cookies.... Blood tests and second opinions.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• She's probably fine if she is eating well... but some kids need some help getting all of the calories they need to keep up with growth...

-Add 2 tablespoons dry milk to every cup of whole milk
    - add cheese to everything
    -add extra butter
    -limit liquids until after eating... so she doesn't fill up on things like water that don't have calories

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/cancer/pedresource/pedres_docs/HowHelpChildGainWeight.pdf
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If the doctor is so worried about her weight, then he needs to find out why she isn't gaining weight with all the she is eating. If she is healthy, then I wouldn't worry about it. Give her lots of smoothies made from ice cream and fruit, yogurt, etc. Make sure she eats 6 small meals a day instead of just 3. Try whole milk (more fat), cheese, etc. Also, ask the doctor what you can feed her that will help her gain weight. She could just have a high metabolism and no matter what she eats, she isn't going to gain weight.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Have they checked her thyroid? If she is eating 24/7 and you say she looks "sickly thin" then there must be an underlying issue that is causing this poor weight gain. I would be upset if the doctor is simply telling you to make her gain weight and not looking into the causes. If the doctor isn't looking into the causes, I'd take her to a different doctor for a second opinion.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• First thing to ask is how are you and your hubby or the father built? if you ar ethin then it is normal.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:45 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Try Ensure for kids or you could even give her Ensure Plus for adults but give her less...iit worked great for me!! I myself was really under weight(83 pounds and I'm 5'0'') and I gained 10 pounds in the first month while drinking it 3 times a day...try it...there's really no harm!! And it's full of vitamins!!!
    jazi1105

Answer by jazi1105 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2009