What do you think about circumcision?

I want to start a debate about this. I have three boys two of which are circumsised(sp). One isn't. My dh says he wants Cole to get the suggery. My thing is he is almost three why bother? He is okay without the suggery and why put him through that? Dh said that he wants him to be like the other boys? Why? I want to let him make that decision if he wants it or not. What do you think?

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• The ratio of circed vs. uncirced is growing closer to 50:50 now. So, your son will not be an only but even so, that is such a petty reason to put your son through an unnessesary and painful cosmetic procedure. The foreskin has a lot of purpose and should be left alone other than general cleaning (no different than what we females do). To remove the foreskin is no different than to cut off the clit hood or the labia of a female. Leave your son alone (IMO) and tell your husband to stop teaching your son to worry about what other people think about his body. Now that my son is intact, every circed boy I see looks odd to me. They just look unnatural. The circed penis has a lot more issues to. I don't know if you knowticed, but keeping my son clean is a lot easier than boys that are circed. A lot less nooks and folds to clean out.
    MyBelovedOnes

Answer by MyBelovedOnes at 10:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If you don't feel it's necessary for religious reasons, I don't see why you would do it.
    Anonymous

• i'm getting my son circumsized when he is born, it's less painful and they don't remember it, it's also cleaner
    Anonymous

• Both of my sons are, the oldest is 17 and has never complained. My younger brother is and so is my hubby. I know on my hubbies side, one of the men got c-scised a few years ago and evidently it was very painful.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would let him make the decision unless it becomes a medical problem. I have one boy circed (because I didn't know any better), and if I have another he will not be.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm against it. Even with the surgery, there's no guarantee he'd look like other boys. Besides that, why does it really matter so much? We don't do anything to our girls to make sure they all look the same, why would we for our boys.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It's a personal decision, but it's not a medical necessity.

My husband is not circumcised, and if/when I have a son, he will not be circumcised. I personally feel like it's a very barbaric ritual. I don't understand how genital mutilation is still acceptable in this form, to be honest.
    Anonymous

• I think that they should be circumcised. There are proven studies that boy/men who are not are more likely to get penal cancer, and STD. Not to mention, the longer he waits the more it will hurt. (Or at least he'll remember).

Medical grounds for circumcision that are most commonly cited are: Reduced risk of urinary tract infections (UTI); reduced risk of penile cancer; reduced risk of cervical cancer in partners; reduced risk of sexually transmitted disease (STD).

http://www.cirp.org/pages/parents/FAQ/
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i'm not doing it to make my son "look like his dad" i'm doing it for health reasons, i have done research and have talked to my dad (who isn't circumsized) and he reccomends it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• There is no logic reason why you would put your child though the pain. It an American thing. In Europe people have been uncircumcized for centuries without any problems.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 4:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009