What are your thoughts on siblings sharing bath time???

Okay so my Son who is 5 stayed the night with my Sister. She has 2 kids ages 3 (girl) and 5 (boy). Well I picked him up and asked if he had fun. He said he did and that Auntie gave him a bath and he said all 3 of them took one together in the jacuzzi
tub. I have 3 little ones ages 8, 5 and 12 months and I always bath them separately. I just don't think kids when they reach a certain age (4) should be seeing their siblings or any other child for that matter naked. How do you handle bath time? And I don't like the fact that people let their kids change in front of everyone at a water park or something like that either. Or let their kids bath or shower with a Parent of the opposite sex once they reach 4. For my oldest Son's bday my friend changed her 4 year old Daughter into her bathing suit in front of everyone. I was mortified! Is it just me being modest and what are your thoughts???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think up to 5 is ok. But I have all boys and if my 4 year old wants to jump in the shower with his 8 year old brother i see no problem with it. As for changing in public, I would at least make some effort to cover my child if changing in private wasn't an option. Behind a towel or something. But I've never been in that situation so I guess I can't comment!
    Anonymous

• I think if they are of the same sex, it isn't a big deal. Once they get to a certain age, taking baths with siblings of the opposite sex just causes too many questions. My 4 year old wouldn't dare let me change her in front of anyone, she has been taught not to let anyone see her without clothes except mommy and daddy and only at bath time, even then she tells us don't look yet lol.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i dont know... kids love to be naked. its just so natural. my cousins and i spent a lot of time in the kiddie pool and bath tub together, naked. nothing weird ever happened, and we all grew up just fine.
    its really up tp you, if it makes you uncomfortable, let people know. i think they'll respect your wishes.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sorry, I have a very different opinion.

I don't think any good will come from making a big deal out of the naked body - only insecurities and an unhealthy view of bodies and nakedness in general when they are older.

Kids who are cousins, friends or any relation - so long as they are innocently playing or bathing should be allowed to be naked if it's an appropriate time.

I would not think anything of seeing a mother change her four year old into a bathing suit - the fact that she was naked would not register with me - as it wouldn't with most others.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My sons (6 1/2 and 3 1/2) bathe and shower together. It saves time and water.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree with you, i dont like kids seeing eachother pr anyone having to see a child naked. I dont know if its because thats how my mom tought me or wat but i hate it my baby is almost 2 and my mother inlaw and sisinlaw give her kids and my baby a bath together or puts then in pools together and my babay being so small stays staring at her boy cuzin whos 3. The other kid is 6 girl but still i dont think its appropiet and they teach her her body parts and i think those parts they teach her should just be tought as her privates and she doesnt need to know what boys and girls have. i think its okay when they are babays but when they start staring and noticing a difference i dont think its okay.
    Anonymous

• My kids never bathed together..Or changed in public..

Answer by louise2 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Op here~ to ladysavage:

The reason I don't like seeing a naked child in public is that there are so many weirdo's in this world and you never know who's looking at them. I am not some crazy insecure Mother with insecure kids!!! I just think that the naked body is something to keep to yourself when you're a CHILD!!!!
    Anonymous

• I have 3 girls - 4 1/2, 3, and 18 months. They all bathe together. I imagine in a few months the oldest will start to take her own baths/showers, but I have no problem with things as they are.

Now... I wouldn't bathe them together if they were not all girls. I would not like for them to bathe with cousins/friends of either sex. I do not change them in public (and it has happened for various reasons) without making it as private as possible.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my kids (daughter 8 & son 2) bath together every day & sometimes i shower w/ them. i think its fine...but thats how i was raised
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 4:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2009