Is it to early to take my teen to the GYN?

okay my daughter ashley,
she is fourteen and I made a opointment
for her to see the GYN and
I was wondering is that to early?
Will it hurt her what will they do on her first time?
thankss.

malloryisamom

Asked by malloryisamom at 4:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• is she having sex? if not - i would wait until she is not a virgin ,because yeah it will hurt the 1st time she gets a pap & pelvic - so unless your needing some bc pills or to have her checked out for a specific reason i would wait
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 4:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If she isn't having sex I wouldn't do it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Her first (annual) pap smear should be at 16 or when she becomes sexually active (whichever comes first). I am so happy that we see a family doctor, I know that my daughter will be more comfortable with her than with a stranger.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• If she has had her period already then yes, she has to have a pap smear once she starts her period. At least that is what I have been told, and she should get one every year. Also you can get her that vaccine to prevent HPV and cervical cancer. Where I live they had a huge HPV out break, so if your daughter has the vaccine then she is covered, it's a shot in the arm, it's great for girls age 9-26. Start her on it now, it's every year and it's 3 different shots within a 6 month span.
    Anonymous

• It is not too early, especially if she already has her period and no it won't hurt her. It may be uncomfortable but it shouldn't hurt. I do recommend the HPV vaccince and from what my nieces mom said, it is 3 shots and that is it. She will have the protection for life. It doesn't stop HPV but it helps prevent HPV (the ones contracted by STD's and otherwise).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My GYN would not examine my 16yr... He said it would hurt her and if she was not active he would not touch her. He did do an ultrasound because he thought she might have a cyst on one of her ovaries... Luckly she was fine.
    I would not tke my child unless there was a problem.
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 9:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• WHAT a lot of girls start their periods at 9 and 10.. they don't need to see a gyn!! Only take her if she is sexually active or 16 as stated by someone above. That's what my doctor told me
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:06 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I was sexually active at 13, and my dr wouldn't give me a pap til i was 16.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I had my first pap at 16 before I was sexually active and it was very traumatic for me. To this day after having 2 kids I still get anxious before a pap. They do use the smallest set on virgins and young girls, but it still was a very uncomfortable experience for me. I'd wait until she's sexually active.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• I would ask your Dr what they think. I got cervical cancer and I was a virgin. Had I not gone to the GYN I could have died. I was 16.
    aapye

Answer by aapye at 8:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2009