how long does it take for a check to go through?

Such as a check written at walmart, kmart or at a grocery store? My husband does not get paid til tomorrow at 9am. I only have one diaper left and a few wipes, so I really need to go get them but we have a zero balance in our account and we do not have credit cards.

rennisance

Asked by rennisance at 4:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• A check can pend on your account immediately. Depending on your bank, there is a cut off time for when it will actually process. I know with BofA anything after like 7 p.m. will not go with the same day of processing, it goes with the next days stuff.
    Anonymous

• Walmart processes checks right then and there. It comes out of your account immediately, just like a debit card would. Not sure on the other stores.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Anon, I bank at a credit union, so not sure on that but I do not want to overdraw my acct, thus the question.
    rennisance

Answer by rennisance at 4:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Ginger, thank you guess walmart is out then!
    rennisance

Answer by rennisance at 5:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You can look at your old bank statements (or get online if you bank that way) to see what dates you wrote checks to these stores and what day they actually cleared (I'd check the last few checks to the store in question). Wal Mart does do the ACH debit where I live, so even though my bank may be closed for the day the charge is already there. It can take days for checks to my local grocery store to clear my bank which is also local.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The new banking laws passed a couple of years ago removed the "float" time. The check will clear in one business day.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• where i live, if i write a check on wednesday, no matter what time of the day it is, it always clears on friday and it has never cleared before then. Now i also live in a town of about 4000 people and bank at a small bank. So that may make a difference. And the cut off time for banks here is 2:00. So i would say you would be pretty safe to go and get the things you need and take your deposit to the bank as soon as you get it tomorrow morning. Good luck
    Anonymous

• if you have a foodlion near you..it takes a day or two...they bank seperately..and as long as you deposit cash into your acct by 2 tomorrow you should be okay regardless..banks close by five...cash shows up by two..you should be able to go get everything you need and cover yourself by the time it matters!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Walmart and Target process the checks electronically and can clear the same day, no matter what time they are written. Also with the passing of the Check 21 law, checks can clear the same day they are written. It depends on the business and the bank. NEVER write a check unless the money is in the account unless you are willing to pay the fees for NSF fees for the bad check. I worked in financial institutions and there are just some people that don't understand that checks presented electronically do not need the banks to be open to be processed, there are no cut off times, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 26, 2009