should I take my baby to the doctor?

My 7 months old has been throwing up lately. At first, it seems more like spit up but today, it went all over the carpet. He had just eaten 8oz milk and 2oz baby food. I didn't hear him burp so maybe that's the reason? or acid reflux? or virus? anyone help!!
Also, he coughs every now and then...

Tig023

Asked by Tig023 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm..it could be any number of things. If he is coughing, does he sound like he has mucus in his throat? Sometimes they spit up the phlegm, or it makes them sick to their stomachs.

As long as he is acting normal otherwise and not getting dehydrated, I would wait a few days to see if it gets better on its own.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It's probably just a stomach bug. They're really not going to do anything for it but tell you to do the BRAT diet. If your baby doesn't have a fever, isn't dehydrated, they'll tell you "it's just a virus" and send you on your way
    Anonymous

• he should be okay....my little girl used to do the same thing....you might want to try switching his formula though....that was the only thing that worked on my daughter
    Blakesbabygirl

Answer by Blakesbabygirl at 5:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It could be a number of things... I would keep and eye on it and if it continues to be throw up and it is after most of his meals, I would be concerned and mention it to his doctor, if a fever starts to present itself then he needs to go to the doctor.
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I checked his temperature and it was fine and his coughs are dry. He seems to be okay but if he does it again, I think I'll call the doctor
    Tig023

Answer by Tig023 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It may be a milk allergy; switch back to a soy based formula (it is really too early for milk)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• sorry I messed up when I wrote "milk" I meant formula (he uses parents choice milk based formula)
    Tig023

Answer by Tig023 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My 5 month old did that a couple months ago...it was just a few bouts, but the dr. told me to give Pedialyte to ensure that he wouldn't get dehydrated. I would definitely mention to dr, though...especially the cough...my son has had similar symptoms and recently put on Zantac for acid reflux. I'd just call and chat with the advice nurse at dr.'s office...better to be safe, IMO...but then I am a neurotic new mommy. LOL :)
    mommy2bbear

Answer by mommy2bbear at 7:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009