I recently learned my 15 yr old daugther is smoking weed.....her boyfriend told me

at first when he told me I was a little skeptical but then I thought about it and I have decided to give her a at home drug test. If I do confirm its true shoud I a) get her help or b)talk this out with her. I know weed is not the bad but it can open the door too many other things. Im so worried and angry but just wanted to hear other moms input

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Smoking weed never "opened the door to other things" at least for me.
    Not that I'm condoning it. I don't know what kind of "help" you would get her... weed isn't an addictive drug, I'd be more concerned about cigarettes and alcohol, actually.
    Talk to her, set a punishment, set a curfew. Keep on her ass, so she doesn't think she can get away with it again. But find out which of her friends smoke it, it's likely that if she's hanging out with them, she's smoking it too.
    Anonymous

• I would just talk it over with her, thats what my Mom did to me when I was that age. I too tried it at her age, but it never opened any doors to something bigger. I didn't enjoy how it made me feel and never really smoked back then. Its better to talk about it then get her help because she is more likely to rebel against you vs. just talking to her about it. Make sure that you come off, as a loving parent, not some "Mother Dearest"
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i agree with the first poster. i started smoking weed at 14 and grew out of it by 17. although my husband is 27 and still smoking it. as long as she does her schoolwork and stays out of trouble, you shouldn't have to do much. ask her before you give the home drug test and surprise her with it so she uses her own urine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• thanks for your input....I too smoked weed and never really enjoyed it .....however I have a brother who smoked weed and is currently using hard drugs. It concerns me.
    jenlesly

Answer by jenlesly at 5:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• to me weed got very addictive it was all I can think of, I couln't wait to get of work to smoke some and kept smoking all night long so I keep my high, I started with smoking maybe once a day and it got to the point were an once of weed didn't last me a week.
    You should tell her you know she smokes but don't tell her who told you and if she denies it tell her to take a drug test. Who ever gave her weed to smoke can also give her something give her other drugs to try and now these days it's all about peer presure and teens will do anything to be cool. GOOD LUCK
    Anonymous

• The bottom line is that marijuana and alcohol can damage a teen's brain.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I would see what kind of help is out there. It's illegal for a reason as is alcohol for a teen. JMO.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• WELL U SEE I DNT THINK SMOKING WEED IS BAD BUT IF SHES DISRESPECTING U IN ANY WAY DEN UR DAUGHTER HAS A PROBLEM
    lefty_69

Answer by lefty_69 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Talk to her about it, ask why she does it. Listen to her. What if she confesses to you that she smokes? Then you don't need to test her and maybe you will trust her more. If not, then test her. Talk to her about it and she what she has to say about it. Tell her why smoking weed bothers you. Explain to her the current laws and how much trouble she can get in if the police or school catch her with it. A drug charge can ruin her future. It's no such much of a big deal that she's smoking it.. it's the consequences if she gets caught!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:05 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Weed didn't open doors to harder stuff for me, but it did for all my friends. By the time I was 21 I had already burried 7 friends. So yes, you should talk to her. I don't know that I would necessarily drug test her though. Just talk to her about drugs, tell her about your own experiences. If you want trust from your daughter, then don't go at her like a a judgmental parent.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2009