If you have WIC or have ever used it in the past...did you ever feel embarassed to whip those vouchers out?

I just got WIC today (hallelujah!). I felt like an idiot because I got the wrong type of baby cereal, and it held up the register at Wal-Mart (nothing new of course). Luckily the woman behind me also got WIC, and she just laughed it off and said "Babies don't eat three cans of cereal a month anyway!"

But I still felt kinda bad : / But it is really nice to have WIC. At least my daughter won't go hungry.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used my WIC check this morning. I've had cereal for breakfast and lunch so far today, i don't get more food stamps until the first and it's literally all i have. It's a blessing.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It didnt bother me most of the time. Sometimes the cashiers can be real jerks or you'll get a new girl who will page over the speakers "I NEED A MANAGER TO COME TAKE CARE OF A WIC VOUCHER" then people all turn around and stare, thats kind of embarrassing.

Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I was embarrassed. I didn't actually end up using them at all. I was only on WIC for 1 month. I couldn't/didn't eat ANYTHING they provided me so it was pointless for me to keep receiving it. I'm thinking about going back on it though to become a WIC breastfeeding peer counselor. Maybe. You SHOULDN'T be embarrassed though. You're just being a good mom getting what you need to take care of your kid. :)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• that's sad that you couldn't eat those things. i'm just glad i can buy lactaid milk with them
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• At first I was, but now I don't care. Luckily here it is similar to a debit card so we don't have to worry about vouchers unless we are going to farmer's market. What do I care if I have to bust out some papers to get free food. My son is eating healthy because I am eating healthy. Eff anyone else who thinks badly of me and my vouchers.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm not, nor was I ever upset to see anyone else receive them. They are not that expensive (its only like 30 some dollars per voucher) and it ensures that the mother and child are eating healthy- which IMO is well worth it!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm not embarrassed because it's something I have to have to give the right nutrients to my son. :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have triplets and there is no way possible with the prices of formula that i could afford it so no im not embarrassed about using WIC! and you shouldnt either its great that they help pay for it then you have money to spend on clothes cause they grow so much the first year you'll be buyin clothes all the time!

XpectTwins92808

Answer by XpectTwins92808 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Not really...I get embarrassed when I have my order all ready to go, WIC vouchers an ID out and ready for the cashier...and the cashier doesn't know how to process the WIC vouchers, and has to call his/her supervisor, which holds up the line. Oh well...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I always feel bad when I'm holding up the line with my 3 separate transactions because of WIC. (1 check per kid so2 and then the stuff I'm buying) And then it's not like you can slip them the check you have to show them the folder to. I feel like it becomes a production of how much money I don't make. Don't get me wrong though I am very thankful for it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009