My son who will be 2 in August just stopped taking naps : ( around 5 in

the afternoon he starts getting sleepy but it's to late for a nap then, anyone else have this going on? I can't a thing done!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to bring back the nap. Bring it back as a "quiet time" - he must lay in bed but doesn't have to sleep.
    If he fights you, use a timer. Start with just a couple of minutes - however long you think he will stay quietly in bed. After a day or two, add a couple of minutes. Keep going until it's at least 1/2 an hour. As it gets longer, check him before it goes off. If he's asleep, turn the timer off and leave him. If he's not, let him get up when the timer goes off.
    If he does not nap, move the bedtime up. His overall sleep needs are the same - he's just not getting any in the day. So you will need to help him get it at night. If this means no playtime with daddy in the evening or no dinner with the family, oh well. Sleep is critical to growth, learning, and overall health.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• We went thru a phase of that around 2 y/o (and I didn't get anything done either, LOL!), but it was short-lived. His body will need to catch up eventually, and he'll start taking them again. I think it lasted a few weeks. They are becoming more verbal, realizing how the world works, where they fit it and it is TOO EXCITING to sleep thru, LOL! Make sure he's getting plenty of stimulation, both mental & physical, play dates, activity and exercise, or outdoor/splash time to help "wear him out." Our LO does sometimes take naps late, and we don't always get him into bed "on time", but he would NEVER see DH if he went to bed very early. DH leaves before we get up. He's our only LO, and we'll set a better schedule when he's in school. Right now, to me, it's very important that he gets his "guy time" in. Good luck, and remember "this too shall pass." You'll be back to housework in no time, yuck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• my son just turned 2 may 3rd and he hasnt napped since he was about 22 months, i tried to get him to keep taking naps but he would never get tired untill 4 or 5! then he wouldnt settle down and go to bed untill midnight and i want to sleep at like 9 lolso i experimented for awhile, tried to make the naps earlier, wouldnt settle down and sleep, so elimintated them altogether and he would get really crabby and tired around 6 and i thought that was too early for bedtime but i finally got a good routine going with him, see grampa comes home and wrestles with him and gets him all fired up so that stopped, now he plays HARD all day, we take him in the pool and to the park then he gets dinner at 7:00, bath at 730 and we go "read books" in bed for a minute then when hes done at 8:00 he hands me his book or just lays down with it and goes to sleep, which is a mitacle since hes never been a good sleeper, good luck!
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2009