I know this is a weird question but...why the heck do my towels always smell musty???

i feel like I have to buy new bath towels every couple of months because they start to get this weird smell to them after a while - I wash them very regularly but it doesn't go away even when they are fresh out of the dryer....WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?????

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Are you leaving them in the washer too long? It sounds like they are starting to mildew a little before you get them to the washer. That happens to me sometimes because I'm famous for leaving the last load in the washer too long.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Are you using them more than once,and are they not drying between uses?They could be getting moldy.Hot water wash/dry should do the trick.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree with Cindy18, my towels don't have a funky smell unless I leave them in the washer too long before putting them in the dryer. Also, what kind of dryer sheets are you using?
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• That could be it, I have definitely left laundry in the washer for hours/overnight sometimes.....I use Downy dryer sheets. They make my clothes smell good but don't help the towels! Once they smell gross can I salvage them or is it too late??
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• sometimes when i leave them in the washer too long they get that smell and it doesnt go away unless i wash them again with about 1/2 a cup of vinager. that gets that smell out of them.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 5:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i agree with the others. also try putting oxiclean or borax in with yoru laundry soap,a s well as fabric softner
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 5:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Dont leave them in the washer too long after they have finished. They will mold. And when you are finished done taking your shower hang your towel across the rod flat to dry before you toss it in a hamper. What detergent are you using? I would use tide or gain. They have a strong smell that holds in there. And use dryer sheets too. The main thing is to let them dry before you toss them in the basket and get them out of the washer ASAP to the dryer. (The smell might be in your washer) If you notice it in your clothes too. If not, I wouldnt worry about putting anything extra in the washer.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My sis is also famous for leaving a load in the washer too long. Now all their towels have that wet laundry smell even though they were washed!
    Anonymous

• My hubby leaves clothes in the washer to long ALL the time and I end up having to rewash them with some bleach .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• What about your cabinets where they keep them? Is it damp? even a slightly leaking sink drain?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009