When did women decide...???

When did women decide that being a damsel in distress was the equivalent to the woman's rights movement? Every time someone reads an article about something derogatory being said about a woman (Palin, or her daughters more often than not lately) we as women feel the need to cry, "SEXISM!!!" That to me is what takes the movement back decades. We are supposed to be strong and tall and if you want to play with "the big boys" you need to take it on the chin like "the big boys." Let's be realistic about our politicians...Obama is in way over his head and it will be a miracle if he succeeds. He needs to pick his testicles bk up when it comes to certain issues. Michelle is Miss. Fashionista but has anyone asked if she is still ashamed of her country? Pelosi is insane. Palin cost McCain the election b/c while you say that she is "the average American" she represents much of what is wrong with American women

blakebrm

Asked by blakebrm at 5:44 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So easily we forget that Mr. Palin attended separatist meetings. McCain played the war hero card and it was trumped by his duh moment when he decided to pick his running mate to try to get the Hilary supporters and Hilary is as wishy washy as is when it comes to support and loyalty. Therefore we are "dogging" ALL politicians' faults...not just the WOMEN. Get over this plateau of women "being victims." If a woman were to become President are we going to play the sexism card when men dislike her or when other countries "diss" our President as many do? An opinion is not always sexist.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 5:47 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry...would care to explain to me the guidelines of what is sexist and what isn't? I think sexually derogatory remarks ARE sexist. As for my pp about Kerry's remarks I was saying at WORST it could be construed as sexist. AND if it WAS Clinton there would be outrage. There was when people made fun of her pantsuits. When you are giving me those guidelines you might also include whether or not you have to agree with the stances (abortion ect.....) for them to stand up for you as a woman?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree with you OP.
    Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 6:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Okay, when it comes to your post what Kerry said clearly was NOT SEXIST. It was a joke,albeit tasteless in some peoples' eyes. I was not referring to your post specifically. I have seen the word"SEXISM" tossed around almost as regularly as "RACISM" and it is getting ridiculous. Sexism, to me, is when someone says something that is clearly meant to demean you b/c you are a man/woman. Sexism is when a woman is treated like a maid and a man is treated like a King in the work place. Sexism is a condescending "sweetie" or a blatant "nice tits." It is not a man making a joke even if it is at your expense. It can also be unfair treatment in any manner if it is on the basis of one's SEX. There is a difference between a lack of tact and sexism.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 6:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i'm to young to decided that i wanted equel treatment. i would prefer that the man still opens the door for me and buys me flowers and always pay for dinner etc. you et what you reep so if your in over your head or get chewed out for wanting equel treatment then you asked for it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Most women only want equal treatment when it comes to what they DON'T want to do or have said about them. As for Sarah Palin. It was totally uncalled for by Kerry to say such a thing about anybody regardless of being a man or a woman. Just plain poor taste and judgement. Her children, as ours and everybody else's, should never be the brunt of a comedians joke or the main news story on TV. Children have no place in the political arena that their parents choose for a career. As a mother, I would be furious if someone said, on national tv, a crude remark or joke about my daughter. And, I think you would also. John Kerry should just imagine how he would feel if the same thing was said about his wife. Even said in jest, it is not right to wish someone missing or dead.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Very well said, foreverb3, but neither of those comments were sexist. They were in poor taste, yes, but where was the outrage from A-Rod or his supporters? Letterman suggested, in jest, that he was a PEDOPHILE! I think that warranted an apology. Or since we are concerned about women, what about his wife who was dragged through the mud recently with the Madonna debacle? We only show outcry where we want to and as far as children not being involved in the media, Sarah Palin herself put her children in the spot light. Once again, I do not think that it is right to say anything hateful about any child but Sarah Palin showed poor judgment and all other public personalities who allow their children to be a part of the media circus (excluding the child actors.) The stars and political figures who shield their children are the one's who have it right.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 6:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i'm to young to decided that i wanted equel treatment. i would prefer that the man still opens the door for me and buys me flowers and always pay for dinner etc.

Since you're so young, I'll let you in on a little secret...the feminist movement wasn't started because women got fed up with men opening door and buying flowers and paying for dinner. That had nothing to do with it and may I suggest you pick up a book and educate yourself on the injustices that YOU as a woman would STILL be enduring were it not for the feminist movement. You would be doing worse things than opening your own doors and paying for your own meals, my dear.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 7:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• melody77

i'm to young to decided that i wanted equel treatment. i would prefer that the man still opens the door for me and buys me flowers and always pay for dinner etc. you et what you reep so if your in over your head or get chewed out for wanting equel treatment then you asked for it.

Would you please ask him to pay for an education or English lessons instead, then? Thanks.

I do not have the patience to sit back and wait on some guy to open a door, and frankly, if someone brings me flowers, he does not know me at all (and I might beat him over the head with the bouquet...if it's a good day, I will remove them from the vase first.) Yes, I do think to fight for our rights to a level playing field and then cry foul when it is leveled, and someone gets her feelings hurt on it, is complete bullshit.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Kaye, will you marry me?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2009