For Christians,how do you pray?

Do you find it hard to make time to pray?When you pray do you loose intrests and stop praying for a time and go back to it later?How do you pray standing up,sitting down,kneeling,laying down?Do you pray to God reading a list of things or do you pray from your heart?And lastly,do you pray outloud,in tongues,or in your head?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 5:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• O.K. this is gonna take a bit of space so here's part one. My own prayer life. Prayer is communication between me and God. Just as I have different forms or types of communication with my husband I have different types and forms of communication with God. Prayer is not about getting God to do what I want. God is God, not a vending machine. You don't insert x amount of prayer, push the amen button and God dispenses whatever you have selected. It is about building my relationship with Him.
    Therefor I have "formal" or structured prayer time. Usually this is in the morning when the kids are either asleep or off to school. I generally sit in my living room chair. My first part or structure of my prayer is to worship and thank God. Then I ask Him to examine my heart and show me things I need to work on or confess. This is where I get quiet and let God speak. Then I talk to God about whatever He has talked to me about.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband and I make sure we pray at every meal.sometimes I forget, but when I remember, Ill stop eating and start praying. ANd at thanksgiving we all take a moment to pray out loud and give thanks to God for what he has given us this year. And at christmas we go to church and then eat and do the same thing as on thanksgiving. On new years daymy hubby and I make up a list on how we are going to get closer to God.I think if you put your mind to it, you wont get off focused.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• in bed, in the car, out loud sometimes in my head sometimes
    :)
    he doesnt care how we come to him so long as we come to him

:)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• con't. Then I bring needs to Him, mine and other peoples. Then I say thank you. The needs of others are from my prayer journal, I can't remember all the people I have said I would pray for. Sometimes God will bring someone to my mind also and I pray for them.
    Durring the day I have less structured types of prayer, usually one sentence or a few phrases that I want to talk to God about. Like before I answered this I prayed God would give me the right things to say.

Now more general stuff. In Matthew 6, Jesus teaches how to pray, there is little mention of how, as far as seated, standing etc. What Jesus tells is not to do is to pray to be seen. God really doesn't care how impressed people are with our prayers. He also says not to babble or repeat things over and over. This is merely rote memory and doesn't engage our hearts or minds with God.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Yes i know what you mean... I look at some verses and that makes me feel better about praying here are some verses hope it helps you.. God bless
    This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him" (1 John 5:14-15).

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16).

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Ephesians 6:18).

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).

hinson7169

• Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

"When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures" (James 4:3).

The Teachings of Jesus
    "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him" (Matthew 6:5-8
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• As Jesus said. As the Bible teaches. With earnest, sincere heart - humbled before the Lord. I do not make spectacle of "public praying" - I pray in private (unless asked to pray over a meal or meeting). Rather I stand,kneel or fall bowed down before the Lord is dictated by my spirit and the Spirit of the Lord. Rarely do I pray "in my head" - because I prefer instead to lift my voice unto the Lord.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2009