If babies can't digest whole milk before 1 year, then why can you give them yogurt before that?

It's made with whole milk....

marybeth1583

Asked by marybeth1583 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't believe that they can not digest it before one year. I gave my son milk, whole, by nine months, and he is just fine, and it didn't mess with his digestive system one bit. I think they tell you that to make more money off formula
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 6:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• 2 reasons... one, yogurt is broken down more (as well as cheese) and it's easier to digest
    but the main reason is that milk doesn't have the proper nutrition that then need before a year... so they need to stay on breastmilk or formula until 1 for that reason.
    Milk too early can lead to anemia
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Yes, it's MADE with whole milk but it isn't whole milk any longer. Yogurt contains cultures that break down the proteins and sugars in the milk that can cause digestive upsets in babies.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Babies should not have any dairy before they turn one. It is an allergy trigger food.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I believe that babies after 6-8 months CAN handle whole milk. However, would you be giving him a diet of yougurt and throw out formula? No. If you are only giving him 1-2 ounces of milk, just a "taste"... I am sure he would be fine. It is -not- recommended to replace formula with milk or anything else until the age of one.
    Anonymous

• My daughter eats 2-4 ounces of yogurt two or three times per week. She also enjoys cheddar cheese. She doesn't have any milk allergies. I have had friends who weaned their kids from the breast directly to cow's milk at 6 months with no problems. I believe allergies are genetic. Most doctors tell you to hold off on cow's milk until the child hits 12 months because they don't want you to REPLACE the formula or breastmilk with it. Cow's milk doesn't have the same nutrients as formula or breastmilk.
    Anonymous

• Milk is a dairy product, but yogurt (a dairy product) is not milk. There is a difference.

It is not an "allergy trigger", it is a food to which people can be allergic. And they will be allergic to it if they are given it before a year, or after a year it doesn't matter. If they are going to be allergic to it, they will be allergic to it.

Our pediatrician had us start our kids on 2% milk at 9 months because of their diets. There was no longer a need for formula. Once a kid is eating a well balanced diet of FOOD, they no longer NEED formula or breastmilk and can safely be switched to milk provided there are no other sensitivities or allergies (and there is a difference).

But then...that's according to our doctor, the one with the PhD.
    Anonymous

• Funny...formula is made from cows milk.
    Anonymous

• Every pediatrician is different and some will tell you not to give yogurt before a year either. I think it's been mentioned, but the main dietary source of an infant is breast milk or formula. It alone provides the nutrients a baby needs to grow and develop. When you begin feeding solids, they are a supplement to that diet, but don't replace breast milk or formula. So yogurt supplements the diet, but doesn't replace it.

The one year mark is about the time a child is eating enough table foods to provide the nutrients to sustain growth and development. The point is not that you should completely avoid dairy (unless there is a know allergy or your child's system doesn't tolerate it well) until 12 months, but that most children need a nutrient rich diet before then.

And I would hope your pediatrician has an M.D. or D.O. A PhD. is a philosophical degree.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• "Funny...formula is made from cows milk. "

Not all formula is made from cows milk.

Funny.

"And I would hope your pediatrician has an M.D. or D.O. A PhD. is a philosophical degree. "

:D
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 10:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009