Husband Rant

My husband was supposed to pick up his kids today from day care then spend dinner with them play for awhile bath and put them in bed. He hasn't done this in two months, I HAVE. Anyway he sent me a message 10 minutes before I left work to tell me that he couldn't because he had to go play tennis. My 3 year old was upset to see that I had come to get her because she wanted her daddy. How do you explain what is happening to a child?

fuelsgirl2

Asked by fuelsgirl2 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• no one HAS to go play tennis, lame excuse. say daddy had to work and get your kid a treat or take the kid out to dinner tonight
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:14 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Forget what you say to your child, I would have a very long talk with your husband.

being a father does not mean providing only material items...they NEED him, and playing tennis is a lame excuse to be a dead-beat dad. Yes, he can be a dead-beat even though he is still with you and the kids. Not spending time with them is so detrimental, they need their father there.

I hope you can make him see that someday.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• He moved out in May and has spent a grand total of about 18 hours with them since. I have told him a million times that his kids need him and unfortunately he does not care. We have been going over this stuff since the day they were born. He does the same thing to his son, my step. He only sees his dad on holidays and special occasions. The kid lives with my inlaws who are only 6 hours away.
    fuelsgirl2

Answer by fuelsgirl2 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I see why you made him move out. He's a selfish jerk who likes to hurt the feelings of little kids. Don't depend on him again and don't get the child's hopes up that he will come get her. If he shows up one time when he is supposed to then it will be a surprise for her but don't disappoint her again by getting her hopes up. That's just cruel. I hope his balls go flat. (of course I was referring to his tennis balls!) lol

Answer by admckenzie at 7:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Never say anything against their father to a child. Make up some simple excuse, if needed.

Answer by Bmat at 8:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009