Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My son is eleven years old. He has a serious back problem that confines him to a bed for the next 7 months. His doctor suggested adult diapers, "Attends". Now, do I change him or should he change himself? I don't know what's appropriate.

Answer Question

Asked by MissLisa7657 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 2 (9 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • you mean depends not attends?

    Answer by aameliaz at 7:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

  • The adult diapers may not fit him, but there are brands designed just for older children who need them. Tranquility is one such brand and you can get it from a home health company. If a child has special needs, insurance will often cover the whole cost or partial cost of purchasing the, but I don't know about for someone in your situation. However, if I were you, I would call and ask your insurance company to see, because whether you are buying either the adult diapers or the ones made for older kids, it's going to cost. You may even be able to get some chux (blue underpad to protect the mattress) covered by insurance.

    As for who is to change your son, why don't you ask him? He may want to try to do it himself at first, then realize that is too difficult and ask you to do it, but either way, at his age it should be his decision unless he is incapable of making such a decision.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.