This is healthcare reform?

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2009/06/24/office-unborn-childrens-health-is-health-care-reform

The Office of Unborn Chindrens Health? Is this one of the wonderful ideas Congressional Republicans have for healthcare reform? They bitch about growing the govt and then some want to create another dept to push the pro-life agenda? 300+ amendments dealing with womens health.

Seriously?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• from the article: "... Someone should tell Senator Coburn that the United States has one of the worst maternal mortality rates of all industrialized nations, and we rank ahead of only one industrialized country (Latvia) when it comes to infant survival.
    Health care reform is critical in order to improve health outcomes for both women and newborn babies. ... "
    Our bad statistic is actually due to teenage pregnancies, which our culture creates more than other countries. Low birth weight is common in teenage pregnancy, and it is the main cause of infant mortality. Factor this out, and the US statistics are the BEST, not the worst.

Our sexually permissive culture is to blame for the mortality rate. (Recall the recent Calvin Klein billboard) Health care reform cannot improve THAT. The author's conclusions are false.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Our sexually permissive culture is to blame for the mortality rate.

First of all, prove it.

Second, that's beside the point. Do you really think there is a need for a new govt agency on unborn health?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Unborn health in the form of testing, and such sure why not..unborn health as in push pro life, stop abortions...NOPE mind your business..and if getting one causes the other..than..screw it..the govt needs to find other ways to spend money....
    Anonymous

• Low birth weight is common in teenage pregnancy, and it is the main cause of infant mortality

There are also women having their first baby at much a much older age (ie 40+) where there are many risks as well. I'm not putting down women who have waited to have children or anything, but that is also a contributing factor. Also, access to quality prenatal care regardless of the mother's age is a factor here.

Anonymous

• I'm all for good prenatal care, but not at the expense of pushing a pro-life agenda on everyone.

Anonymous

• According to the World Health Organization (WHO) definition, all babies showing any signs of life, such as muscle activity, a gasp for breath or a heartbeat, should be included as a live birth. The U.S. strictly follows this definition. But most other countries dont
    Europe doesn't count the deaths of babies shorter than 30 cm, because they are not counted as live births, according to Nicholas Eberstadt, Ph.D., Henry Wendt Scholar in Political Economy at the American Enterprise Institute and formerly a Visiting Fellow at the Harvard University Center for Population and Developmental Studies. So, comparing the infant mortality rates for Switzerland and th eUS, is comparing apples and oranges.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• So a known prolifer is trying to cram legislation into a big ol' bill? If this article can be trusted, in all it's bloggy goodness, I'm not gonna be surprised.

I couldn't find a non-bloggy source to see the actual proposal, but I can guarantee you there's gonna be all kinds of pet ammendments slipped in there if we aren't careful, both sides. This one happens to be from a known prolifer. Color me shocked.

And no, it's not healthcare reform. It's business as usual on Crapitol hill.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Actually Republicans have presented an alternative. But if you are engulfed in liberal blogs and media, you probably haven't read it.

Republican Health Care Reform Solutions

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• took the words right out of my mouth grly...

Um this link is a totally biased BLOG! try again with a real source and information please...
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Oh grly, I've read that a bunch o' times, but I don't trust any of them till I can read the bill.

I mean, we're talking about trading in the bronco to take advantage of the 4500 clunker clause that got passed with the war spending. These people are slimy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2009