Help! I have a sick/vomiting 3YO who insists on walking around everywhere, but she is throwing up all over!

Everything I give her to eat or drink comes up and I have been following her around with the rug scrubber all day! I need some advice as to what to do... I can't just deny her food or drink... is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance!

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give her a bowl or a paper bag to carry around with her to throw up in? I hope she feels better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 7:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• BRAT diet, or give her a big bowl or a little bucket to carry around with her so when she has to throw up she can use it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• if she can't keep water down make sure she isn't dehydrated. otherwise, maybe offer something special she doesn't normally get to do but she has to be sitting down for it: movies all day or something like that. maybe it will get her to sit still for an hour or so. otherwise, try to tell her to tell you when she is going to be sick and try to get her to the bathroom or kitchen (whichever is closer, sink works just as well as toilet when it comes down to it) on time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:48 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• old ice cream pails work wonders for kids to carry around when they are sick. have you tried giving her some kids imodium or pepto bismol? how long has she been sick for?
    mommy_arika

Answer by mommy_arika at 9:24 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• No, I'm leary of OTC drugs unless they are really necessary. She just got sick this morning, although she didn't eat any of her dinner last night. I think since she is up and running around, she's not TOO bad off. I think the bucket idea MIGHT work, if i can get her to remember! LOL
    felicia0923

Answer by felicia0923 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• the bag or bowl to walk around with is a good idea.
    Don't give her any medicine unless you call the nurse first. Imodium can actually work to dehydrate children even more.
    Do you have insurance? I would call your insurance nurse hotline or your pedi.
    Anonymous