What does, "OK" mean?

I have a close friend getting on my nerves. Whenever he doesn't agree with something I've commented on, he say's, "ok". Not sure why, but it feels like its condescending and I'm not sure why I'm taking it this way. He's not one to argue or even state his opinion. When I say something he does agree with he says, "yeah, I totally can see it that way too". It seems like the conversations I try and have with him are ended abrubtly by him saying, "ok". Does anyone else use this method to end a conversation with someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• It depends on the body language and tone of voice. The word means different things the way it is said. He may not realize that he is indicating with his body language or tone of voice that he is actually saying like "Whatever!" which is one that makes me twitch. Tell him about this. He may not realize he is doing it. And if he does realize it, then he is deliberately being condescending.

Answer by Bmat at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband does that, or he says Sure. It makes me insane, it's just how he says it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:53 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My husband does that to, and with him it basicly means ok whatever you have your opinion I have mine I don't want to argue about it.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sure is another work he uses when he doesn't "really" want to do something.
    Anonymous

• If I see a conversation is going nowhere and can't be solved by talking, then I will just end with an "ok" meaning "Ok, we can just agree to disagree on this and move on. Its not worth arguing over or getting hurt feelings over." Mostly I use it when discussing politics or religion with someone :) Never about serious relationship issues or anything!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Emuu, he usually says it for anything we talk about since he's actually able to voice his religious and political opinions with me. I guess it's frustrating that he can't just say, "huh, thats one way to look at it". It's as if he's controling when to end my conversation with him.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like what most people say when they think they are right and are through talking about it. I say 'whatever'. So, yes it is him being condescending. He still doesn't agree, but doesn't want to argue about it so he just says 'ok' to shut you up. Like when I don't want to argue with my husband I say 'whatever' but at least he knows what I mean.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 8:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Well, here's the unfair part then. I've played it his way before and said, "ok" when he said something I really didn't agree with. He made me disect that "ok" with him over and over because he wanted to know what "ok" meant. when I said it. Does this sound fair?
    Anonymous

• yeah, that answer would bother me too it makes me think that either he doesn't care what you have to say 0r he's just dumb and doesn't have any oppins himself. I would tell him that when you ask him a question to express himself more..you really need to know how he really feels.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ASK HIM HOW HE FEELS WHEN YOU SAY THAT.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:23 PM on Jun. 25, 2009