How do YOU make taco's?

I'm a young mom and just learning how to cook. I know taco's are easy but this will be my first time making them by myself.
Add the taco seasoning, brown the meet, cut up the ingredients and there we have it. Tacos! ...but is there anything that YOU do to make your taco's tastey? do you add anything else to the meat? or any other "special" something that makes your homemade tacos taste soooo good?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• i add diced black olives and onions to the meat. everyone loves them and asks me to bring them to everything. about 2 tablespoons per pound of diced olives and about half a small onion per pound of sliced onions. on top of taco seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and tony sauceres seasoning. (tony's is great on anything from meat to veggies love it its a green container)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• when I cook the meat I add sesoning salt onion, green bell peppers and I don't use all the taco sesoning I think it's to strong
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=tacos

this is a great web site there are tons of recipes
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I always just buy the Taco Bell box at the grocery store lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• i get ground beef, chorizo, onions, and garlic. I cook up the meat until browned, then add ketchup. No need for additional seasoning unless you want it-- the chorizo has plenty!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 8:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• LENTIL TACOS
    Ingredients
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
    8 ounce can tomato sauce (or home made)
    corn tortillas (for fun, use a mix of white, yellow and blue)
    1 packet dry taco seasoning mix (or make your own with the recipe below)
    handful of textured soy protein, optional (I leave this out)
    lettuce (shredded)
    cucumber (seeded, peeled, sliced)
    tomatoes (chopped)
    lemon or lime wedges (optional)
    Directions
    Cover the lentils with water in a large saucepan. They expand tremendously so use a large pot. Add tomato sauce, textured soy protein, and taco seasoning. Bring to high heat until boiling. Simmer at low heat until the mixture thickens. Add more water if necessary
    and stir often so that the bottom does not burn. This process will take about an hour. You want to cook it until it's about the consistency of cooked oatmeal. Taste the mixture and add more seasonings if necessary.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• In the meantime, heat the corn tortillas in the oven, directly on the oven rack for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Assemble the tacos as desired. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the tacos... yum!!
    This recipes makes a large quantity and is very flexible with the garnishes. Experiment by adding chopped avocado, cilantro, onion, etc. I prefer these without salsa since the taco filling has so much flavor on its own. Enjoy!!
    Taco Seasoning:
    4.5 tsp. paprika;
    1 tsp. cumin powder;
    0.5 tsp. oregano;
    1 tsp. chili powder;
    1 tsp. onion powder;
    0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
    1 tsp. salt;
    1 tsp. sugar;
    0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
    1 tsp. flour;
    0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
    Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild, I add cayenne.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I like to add fresh sliced avocados to ours. mmmm
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Sometimes we'll add avocados, or black beans, or spanish rice into our tacos or burritos. There is a lot you can add to the ground beef, like more spice, or other veggies.

ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I add sliced green or black olives, sour cream, refried beans and even Spanish rice to my tacos. Yummy!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2009