constipation...

My daughter is just barely a month old (she turned 1 month on the 22nd) and the last 2 days shes been getting constipated. Giving her a bit of breast milk helped her last night and when she wakes up I plan on trying that again but just in case that doesnt work again do you have any other suggestion, Ive heard the apple juice thing but is there anything else (besides putting a thermometer up there because my SO's mom said to do that because shes had three kids and it worked for her but I already tried and no luck)

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 8:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What makes you think she's constipated? What are her symptoms? Is she exclusively breast fed?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• when she does go, is it balled up in the diaper? that lets you know they really are constipated. at that age it is normal for them to seem like they have trouble making a bowel movement (grunting etc is normal). if she really is constipated and if you pump or give bottles at all, you can give her half a teaspoon of karo syrup in her bottle and that will help her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• shes eats formula and breast milk both from a bottle...and I assmue shes constipated because she hasnt pooped all day like within the last 7 plus hours she hasnt pooped AT ALL and shes been eating as much as normal and she usually poops at almost every feeding (which is about every 2 hours)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:13 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• wait and see when she does poop if its a thicker consistency or its balled up than she is constipated, if not it may just be her body changing again and keeping more of what goes in. my son just turned one month on the 21, in the past week he's gotten down to one dirty diaper a day or every other day. my daughter did the same thing at this age, her docs said it was just her body adjusting.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• ooh I guess that makes sence...last night when she did finally go she went three times throughout the rest of the night (after I gave her the breast milk) and her poop appeared normal so I guess ill check
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• As long as the poop is not dry, hard or pellet like, then its not constipation. :) No worries. I don't know much about FF babies, but I do know that EBF babies can go up to 10 days between poops, and it's normal! (assuming that when they DO go, it's not dry, hard, or pellet like)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It is usually at about his age that they stop pooping after every feeding. She will now start to go less frequently but it will be a bigger amount. I may be only once a day, or she may even go a few days between bms. Some exclusively BF babies only go about once a week because it is so highly digestible, very little waste.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009