What is the best way to get your carpets really clean??

I rented a steam cleaner a few months ago and it seems now my carpets are dirtier than before. Is there any kind of special formula I can buy or mix up myself that will get my carpets really clean and keep them clean???

joelsmommy

Asked by joelsmommy at 8:01 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My husband and I own a carpet cleaning business. We don't use steam cleaning or HWE (Hot Water Extraction) because those are typical results, in a few months or even weeks spots are back. Plus leaving your carpet and carpet pad wet for hours or days promotes bacteria and mold/mildew growth!

We use a much safer method that cleans a LOT better, called Encapsulation. Basicaly we spray a fine mist of cleaner and our machine rotates a pad really fast in multiple directions to clean stains, remove odors and clean your carpets deep down. The misted cleaner crystalizes as it dries drawing more dirt into it and your carpet acts like a dirt repeller. So everytime you vacuum your carpets get cleaner and cleaner. The carpet cleaner using the encap method will vacuum before and after using the machine.

I would definately look into a company that uses Encap cleaning in your area. It usualy costs less and does a better job!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Also just wanted to say that we advertise that if you just had your carpets cleaned by one of our Steam Cleaner competitors we will come to your home for FREE and show you what they left behind!

There are a few videos on our website (even though we are in Buffalo, NY) but if you want to see how well encap machines work take a peek at the videos!

www.NoMoreSteamCleaning.com
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Encapsulation in a residential setting is a joke. That's why the carpet manufacturers continue to recommend truckmounted hot water extraction by a CERTIFIED professional as the BEST way to get carpets truly clean. Save your encapsulation pitch for a commercial account that must have the carpets dry immediately due to usage. Quick drying is the ONLY advantage over HWE, and that's been proven time and time again.
    To the OP--you asked what is the best way to get the carpets clean and the answer to that is to hire a certified professional who is using truckmounted hot water extraction, preferably in conjunction with a rotary extraction system such as the Hydramaster RX20. Your carpets are filthy again because you left a soapy residue behind when you tried to clean them w/ a weak machine. At the very least, if you're going to "steam" them yourself again, do not use any soap or detergents. Just use plain hot water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• LOL spoken like a true old school HWE business owner. Truth is we go into homes of those that had carpets cleaned via steam cleaning anywhere from 1-7 days and time and time again our pads are FILTY from the dirt and crap left behind.

Yes having a LOUD noisy truck mount with hoses running into your home....meaning doors or windows are open letting your central air/cooling or heat escape WASTING your money and leaving carpets wet for hours growing MILDEW and making them stink worse is SOO much better.....lol....get over it. It's only HWE users that diss Encap because they want to think they are so much better. We get at least 10 calls a day from people complaining Stanley Steamer made their carpets worse, then they praise us for doing a wonderful job!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• PP, Encap has it's place, just like the Host system, or oscillating pads, or any other method. A heavily soiled residential setting is not one of them. Anyone can do a lousy job with ANY system--are there lazy technicians who don't do a good job at Stanley Steemer? Yep, just like there are at Pete's Dry Cleaning, or Sears, or any other company. I have many, many customers who have Rainbow vacuum systems in their homes who tell me that after we clean, their water in the Rainbow is completely clear. There is a reason why HWE is the most widely used, and only generally accepted form of cleaning for residential settings. I assure you that my $25,000 truckmount can clean circles around your encap equipment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2009

• By the way, I'm probably not the person you want to get into a pissing contest with--I have over 12 years in the business, am IICRC certified, hubby is a certified Master by IICRC (look it up if you need to or if you don't believe that we could POSSIBLY know what we're talking about!) and we run in an extremely successful high-end carpet care business in a large metropolitan area. You might consider getting some formal industry education at some point so you don't sound so ignorant, k? Because when you slam HWE across the board the way you have here, you really do sound like a moron to the rest of us in the industry. You need to find out more and understand about the various cleaning processes and their usage in various settings before you spout off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jun. 27, 2009