What is up with Twighlight?

Okay, so I have seen a lot of obsession with this so I watched the movie..we don't have television. It was okay, but not great. Is it the series that everyone is talking about or the books. Is it worth putting on Netflix?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in Entertainment

• Twilight is based on the first of 4 books in a series about a vampire family, the Cullens, and Isabella Swan. The book, Twilight, is better than the movie but the movie is not that bad. I think the rest of the movies will be excellent. You can read the first book and it matches the movie pretty good. But remember, Twilight is just the first book out of 4. The movie is the first movie out of four.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The movie is based on the novel series. I believe the obsession is with both. I have only seen the movie, it wasn't my thing.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 8:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I saw the movie first. I didn't think is was great, but worth a watch. I then read the book, and as usual it was better. I'm now reading New Moon. I like good reads, that go fast. It is purely entertainment and not some wonderful prose.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The novels are great, I think. I agree that the obsession has gone a bit overboard. The story is endearing and it really could be a classic love story, in my opinion. The movie was not as good as the books, but if you watch the movie from a entertainment standpoint, it isn't bad. If you watch the movie as a representation of the book, then you will be sadly disappointed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Honestly, I've read all the books and the story is okay but the writing is awful. I can go on and on my issues with the details of some of the things but I won't right now. I don't think the books are worth buying. I wish I could SELL mine because I don't want them anymore but I bought them all new. I'm a 'once I start something, I gotta finish it' type girl so I did just that. It's an angst-ridden love story of a human girl (who is suppose to all smart and mature for her age but if you really look at the whole picture, she isn't much more mature than her friends) and a dark, mysterious vampire who fall in love and can't be together. The second book is pretty much the 'heroine', crying and sulking because her and her boyfriend broke up. It was annoying because honestly, her whole life shouldn't be her boyfriend. And it shouldn't be portrayed as 'okay' that she gets so depressed over this guy but again, the WHOLE BOOK
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• CONT.
    she's crying over her boyfriend. It's gross. I have a severe low-tolerence for that kind of thing. And other than the last book, I don't even really remember what else happened. It's really an awfully written book for teenagers that EVERYONE has seemed to embrace. So... if you want my books, you can surely have them. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The obsession is with both, but I honestly don't get the whole Twilight thing. Even if the vampires didn't glitter (which I have trouble getting past) I thought the books were extremely slow paced and boring so I didn't even bother with the movie. Although, the movie version probably cut out a lot of the tedious parts, so maybe it's better.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:31 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• @jessradtke I liked the movie better. Which is odd because 9.99 times out of 10, I like the book better. This is the .01 time that I didn't. It's SHOCKING. :-O I think it had a little something to do with Robert.. whatever. The guy who played Edward Cullen. And the story - it wasn't even like there were more than one story. It was 5 books (or however many) of ONE LONG STORY. And yes, I'm not even going to TOUCH the glittering vampires. ;-) What's sad is that there were parts that had potential to be a GREAT story. I just don't think Stephanie Meyers is that... creative. That good of a story-teller? Something.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I read the books and absolutely loved them. Saw the movie soon after I finished the books and I didn't care too much for it because it didn't follow the book really that well. But then, last month, I watched the movie again and I found it to be better when I didn't compare it with the book and just took it as a movie for entertainment. But I think the books are worth buying or at least checking out from your local library. I absolutely love reading and find it hard to find books that I truly enjoy, and Twilight was perfect. The perfect love story if you ask me. And no, her whole life wasn't completely based around her boyfriend but I could see how it could be seen that way. The only thing I had an issue with was the end of the whole series. It was sort of anticlimactic lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I haven't seen the movie, yet, but I have read the book. It was good, but I don't understand the complete obsession with it. With that said, I'll probably buy New Moon, the sequel to Twilight, because I like to read and am interested in the characters.

But I do like the actor that plays Edward in the movie, hott!!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009