How many servings of fruits and veggies per day do your kids actually get?

And how many treats, candy, cookies, cake, ice creams, soda, you know that sort of thing?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Today they each had a fruit at each meal and a vegetable at supper, so 4 today (6 if you go by actual serving sizes)

Their snack today was some Teddy Grahams.

Today was a pretty average day around here. Some more, some less.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:50 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I don't keep track of their veggie/fruit intake and it varies by day. Today my 3yo had some cherries, a bowl of fresh pineapple and a banana. We had pizza for dinner. We tend to have 2 different kinds of veggies with dinner.
    Snacks today: yogurt and the fruit, oh and a bowl of veggie straws (like potato chips but also made of tomato and spinach...yummy).
    Normally they don't have a lot of snacks. They get 1 gogurt a day and fruit if we have it (they go through it fast so it doesn't last), sometimes cottage cheese or cheddar cheese or string cheese. They don't eat cookies, candy, cakes and that kind of stuff very often (usually just on holidays and birthdays).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My son had honey dew melon with his breakfast. The cereal he ate was a whole grain cereal with fresh blueberries. The egg white omelet had onions and bell peppers in it.

Lunch was a turkey sandwich with a spinach salad that had carrots, cucumber, radish, tomatoes, red bell peppers and cabbage.

Snack was broccoli and cauliflower with a low cal veggie dip I made.

Dinner was grilled chicken breasts with left over salad from lunch, asparagus, green beans with onions and peppers and roasted carrots.

Vegetables are typically the main thing on our plate. My son had no candy, soda or any junk food today. On rare occasion he is offered it and usually declines. He gorged himself on cake once and it made him sick he realized that stuff is bad when you are a person who eats healthy.
    Anonymous

• He always has juice and a fruit with breakfast. (today, apple juice and banana)

He had trail mix as a snack, so raisins with that

I'll try my best to make sure he gets a fruit or veggie with lunch. (today it was apple slices)

Dinner he gets at least one - (tonight we had a hot dog, rice, bean, veggie mix so he had green peppers, tomatoes, and corn with dinner)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• A bowl of fruit with a tablespoon of ice cream is a treat at our house, never more than once a day. Definitely 7-8 servings of fruits/veggies in at least 3 different colors every day (salads, veggies and hummus, avocado sandwich, etc.).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2009

• My kids eat a ton of fruit and veggies and very little sugar and fatty stuff. People say stuff about it to me all the time, like how I'm depriving them of their childhood cause I don't let them suck on Capri Suns all day, but they can kiss my butt. I am doing my best to teach my children about healthy eating for life so they don't have to try to undo a lifetime of bad eating habits when they're in their 30's. I sure do wish people would stop trying to shovel garbage food down my kids throats though--every time I turn around, it's more junk--other parents are constantly doling out candy and fake juice. I hate to be a parade-pisser, but I feel like I have to curb how much crap my kids eat. It's a non-stop battle. I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life--I lost 60 pounds in the last 2 years by healthy eating and exercising. I don't want my kids to have the same struggles I've had, so I'm trying to teach them now.
    Anonymous