What age did you find it appropriate to introduce the sex and puberty talk?

My husband and I both hit puberty early, and we are hearing more and more about how it is happening sooner. We don't want to have our son going through it with no guidance, but we also don't want to start too early.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had already started my period by 10. I got the talk the day that my period started so I was scared half to death while I was having the talk. And my sister lost her virginity by choice when she was 13. I decided that I would give the puberty talk at 9 and the sex talk at 11. They are introducing these concepts earlier in schools than they did when I was in school too, even if it isn't coming from the curriculum. I am sure by 10, your child will have a hand me down version of a talk from another child.
    Anonymous

• i would start at 11 thats when my mom taslked to me about it and not sex until atleast 13 or 14
    Lilysmom1988

Answer by Lilysmom1988 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I will talk to mine about mechanics at 8-9 and sexual relationships at 10 or so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:46 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• Answer questions when curiousity starts...you dont have to be extremely detailed..but answering with "when your older" isnt good enough..waiting until late in middle school is already too late...you want him to learn from you not his friends...simple explanations when curiosity begins will suffice, and for each child that age is VERY different!! but interest and curiosity in sex is begining younger and younger....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The "talk" is part of a series of ongoing conversations that start practically at birth, by teaching your child the correct names and functions of body parts. Always be on the looking for teachable moments: baby birds, preganat relative, new puppies, etc.
    Always answer your child's questions honestly and at their level.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I agree, PP. We begin talking to our kids the minute they can 'talk' to us. We teach them their body parts...the clinical names, not cutesy ones...so my 3yr old daughter knows she has a 'vagina' not a 'toot-toot' as my mother wants to call it. (She was at my mom's one day and she was going to potty and my mom reminded her to wipe her 'toot-toot' and Lulu says 'What's dat?' and my mom pointed at it and Lulu looked at her and said 'No, Nanny...dat my 'gina!' My mom almost had a heart attack...it was awesome! LOL! But we move on as they get older to the clinical, sterile mechanics of baby-making and pregnancy and childbirth and then around 11 we start to get into the emotional, heavy-duty stuff. My son is almot 15 and he's very knowledgable about sex, birth control, condoms, STD's, and why it's not a good idea to get a girl pregnant before you graduate high school. (Thank you Bristol Palin! You were a great example!)
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:27 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• I have been talking to my son about sex, his body, etc since he was about 6 years old. I answer all his questions according to his age. I am very open and honest with my son and knew more info than kids his age because I talk to him. He started learning about his body in 4th grade during health class and it gets more detailed each year. He just finished 7th grade and they learned about STD's and how to prevent them this year. He also learned about female bodies. He is just grossed out about STD's and said he is NOT having sex until he is atleast 21. I really hope he sticks to that but if he decides not to, atleast I know he is well prepared.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• It should be part of normal conversation, when a child asks about it you explain it in a way that a child understands it. I don't like the idea of "the talk" when they are a certain age because in my opinion those are very awkward and unnatural conversations.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• "The "talk" is part of a series of ongoing conversations that start practically at birth, by teaching your child the correct names and functions of body parts. Always be on the looking for teachable moments: baby birds, pregnant relative, new puppies, etc.
    Always answer your child's questions honestly and at their level. "

Ditto
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2009