• In the Spotlight:

What age did your children start hitting puberty?

Someone else asked about the common age to implement "the talks". I was curious to know when the average for real children, not statistics, was for puberty to start. So what age did you start noticing big changes that were indicative of puberty? And also, can you list the gender of the child please? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd is 7.5 and started budding. So far we haven't seen any other physical changes. We decided to let it go for now and if she gets any new signs we would take her to see her dr. We are having the talk this summer. I figure give her the talk over the summer that way it wouldn't be something new for her to talk about at school.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• The "talk" is part of a series of ongoing conversations that start practically at birth, by teaching your child the correct names and functions of body parts. Always be on the looking for teachable moments: baby birds, preganat relative, new puppies, etc.
    Always answer your child's questions honestly and at their level.
    My daughter started getting pubic hair at 8, mood swings at 9, breasts at 11, first period just before she turned 13.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My dd is 9 and starting getting breast buds, and just general filling out. She was having major mood swings for a while where nothing and everything brought her to tears. She has mellowed out some, and I think 8-11 is a normal age range for symptoms to start.
    mawfia

Answer by mawfia at 9:30 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My kids showed signs at 12 or 13 years but we did have some of the talks earlier so there wouldn't be any unexpected surprises and so they would have a good value system. Theyknew about periods and about pregnancy and birth control and why it is important to not have sex.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2009